Serbia suspends two of its race row players for a year
The FA will stand by Danny Rose 100 per cent despite renewed calls from the Serbian FA to punish the player after it itself handed out a total of four bans today for the ugly scenes which marred last week's Under-21 match.
Two Under-21 players, Nikola Ninkovic and Ognjen Mudrinski, were suspended for 12 months and the pair cannot play in any Serbian team during that period for their part in the ugly brawl after European Championship qualifier had finished.
The goalkeeping coach Srdjan Maksimovic and conditioning coach Andreja Milutinovic were both banned for two years following their part in a night of shame.
"The players and members of the coaching staff of our young team were fined for ethics violations FS Serbia, thereby ruining the basic principles and the principles of fair play," a Serbian statement said. "During the investigation, we came to the conclusion that there was evidence of participation in the incident among some Serbian players and members of the professional staff."
Technical director Savo Milosevic added: "I suggest that in the future this or similar behaviour will not be tolerated. It is not and will never be acceptable to all who are of Serbian FA."
England had won the Under-21 European Championship qualifier second leg 1-0 following a late Connor Wickham goal, which came in injury time. Rose kicked the ball towards the crowd following racist chanting, which was picked up on camera, and he was then attacked by opposition players and staff. The England Under-21 coach Steve Wigley had to fight his way off the pitch to get down the tunnel.
There have been suggestions that the Serbian FA now expects a reaction towards Rose, who was shown a red card, but the FA will stand firm in its support for the Tottenham Hotspur defender, who is currently on loan at Sunderland.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory