Swansea forward Michu delighted after receiving Spain call-up
Call comes following injury to David Villa
Monday 07 October 2013
Swansea forward Michu is in dreamland after winning his first call-up to the Spain squad.
The 27-year-old was summoned by Vicente del Bosque for the upcoming World Cup qualifying double-header against Belarus and Georgia after Atletico Madrid striker David Villa was forced to pull out through injury.
Michu earned his chance on the back of fantastic start to his Premier League career, which saw him score 22 goals in his first season for Swansea after joining from Rayo Vallecano in the summer of 2012, and notch a further five goals so far this term.
Michu has not represented Spain at any level yet but is determined to make the most of this chance to try and impress Del Bosque ahead of next year's World Cup, even though he concedes it will not be easy to force his way into the world and European champions' team.
He told Cadena SER: "Every Spanish footballer dreams of this and it's so difficult. Few people can wear the shirt of the best team in the world.
"There are a lot of players missing, but there are great players in the squad. Let's see if fortune is with me and I can play, although I'm already grateful to be called up."
He added on Radio Marca: "It's the maximum to which a footballer can aspire. The national team is the best in the world, it's a privilege
"I'm enjoying it like a kid, these are the best players in the world and it will be complicated, but I'll try to take advantage of the opportunity."
Del Bosque opted for Michu ahead of Roberto Soldado and Fernando Llorente, but it might have been a different story if Diego Costa had been available to the Spain coach.
The Brazil-born Atletico striker, who is the leading scorer in La Liga this season with 10 goals, recently switched his allegiance to Spain but Del Bosque was not able to call him up last week due to outstanding paperwork.
Michu played alongside Costa for Rayo during the 2011/12 season and he said of his former team-mate: "I've not spoken with him, but I've swapped messages. He's doing great and I'm very happy.
"I want to enjoy this experience, of sharing a dressing room with the best in the world."
Latest in Sport
Hector Bellerin: How saying no to Barcelona paid off for Bellerin - and Arsenal
Paul Scholes column: With Premier League over for another year, here are my end of season awards
'I am the president of everybody': What Sepp Blatter said after winning re-election as Fifa president
Fifa bomb threat: Swiss authorities confirm a bomb threat has been made at the Fifa Congress
Michel Platini to consider pulling England and other Uefa members out of the World Cup if Sepp Blatter wins Fifa election
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government