Swansea striker Michu close to Spain call-up
Striker has been in sensational form
Thursday 13 December 2012
Vincent del Bosque plans to check on Swansea City's Michu after the in-form striker announced himself in the Premier League.
The Spain coach will come to Britain next month and assess the form of Chelsea's Fernando Torres, but the uncapped Michu, the league's leading scorer, will be his main focus. "Michu has long been performing at a high level and what he has accomplished in England is not easy," said Del Bosque.
Michu, 26, has scored 13 goals after his £2.2m summer move from Rayo Vallecano and has been key to Swansea's march towards Wembley in the Capital One Cup, in which they have a chance to mark their centenary with a first major trophy.
Latest in Sport
Crystal Palace manager latest: Malky Mackay ruled out due to messy departure from previous club Cardiff
Sami Khedira to Arsenal: Midfield omitted from Real Madrid squad for Spanish Super Cup
Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
Angel Di Maria latest: Manchester United target is Real Madrid's 'best player', says Diego Simeone
Luis Nani exit: The curious case of the Manchester United winger
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict
- 4 Nicki Minaj 'Anaconda': Singer finally releases predictable video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence