Torrential rain halts Euro 2012 match between Ukraine and France in Donetsk
Torrential rain in Donetsk caused the Euro 2012 match between Ukraine and France to be suspended this afternoon.
The Group D game was just five minutes old, with the score at 0-0, when thunder and lightning rocked the stadium in Ukraine and heavy rain pelted the players and fans.
Referee Bjorn Kuipers took the decision to take the players off the pitch as fans in the lower parts of the stadium retreated for cover.
Chris Waddle, talking on BBC Radio 5 live said: "They've gone off for the safety of the players. There's that much rain going on the pitch the referee couldn't take the risk of continuing."
With the weather easing, it was announced the match would resume at 6pm.
The other two teams in Group D, England and Sweden, play later today in Kiev.
Latest in Sport
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: The biggest fight of all time, or maybe just the most lucrative?
Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
What time does Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao start?
Arsenal transfer targets: The summer signings that would please Thierry Henry, including Sami Khedira and Edinson Cavani
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: What time does it start and where can I watch it?
- 1 Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
- 2 Migrant crisis: Greek soldier saved 20 people singlehandedly off Rhodes beach
- 3 UK weather: Britain braced for snow as arctic air mass moves in
- 4 Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding
- 5 Stephen Hawking endorses Labour in the General Election