Uefa award for Healy
Wednesday 26 March 2008
David Healy's prolific scoring record at international level will be rewarded by the Uefa president, Michel Platini, tonight.
The Fulham striker, who will lead Northern Ireland's attack in a friendly against Georgia at Windsor Park, broke Davor Suker's 12-year European Championship qualifying record, his 13 strikes bringing Nigel Worthington's side to within a whisker of making it to Austria and Switzerland this summer.
Platini, who will be in Belfast to present Healy with a special award, said yesterday: "I'm sure that this record will last for some time to come."
Latest in Sport
Phil Hughes dead: List of players who have tragically died on the cricket pitch
Nani transfer: No future for winger at Sporting Lisbon as club cannot afford his wages when loan deal with Manchester United runs out
This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Mario Balotelli is playing badly at Liverpool because he misses his daughter, says agent
Tottenham Hotspur vs Partizan Belgrade match report: Spurs go through in Europa League - but pitch invaders grab the attention
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he'd killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship