United States vs Germany World Cup 2014: How can the USA escape Group G?
A look at Clint Dempsey and Co must do to reach the knock-out phase
Tuesday 24 June 2014
Ahead of the final round of fixtures in Group G on Thursday, we look at what the United States must do to progress.
After being mere seconds from guaranteeing a place in the knock-out stages when they conceded a late goal to Portugal last week, the United States need only a draw to make it through to the World Cup’s last 16.
If they were to beat Germany, they will then have secured first place in Group G.
However, should the USA lose, they will find themselves at the mercy of either Ghana or Portugal. Ghana will send the Jurgen Klinsmann's side home should they beat Portugal and better the American's goal difference, yet the USA have the tiebreaker if the goal difference remains the same, having beaten the Black Stars in their first game of the competition. Portugal could also knockout the Americans should they beat Ghana and topple the United States on goal difference.
Both kick off at 5pm and are on the BBC.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal vs Manchester United report: Wayne Rooney and a Kieran Gibbs own goal make Gunners rue missed chances
Chelsea vs West Brom: Jose Mourinho turns on ‘Dr Sergio Ramos’ in Spanish spat
WWE Survivor Series 2014: What time does the event start? And full card
Prince Harry leads the congratulations for Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi, calling him 'an absolute legend' as he crossed the finish line
Arsenal vs Manchester United player ratings: Who was the star man? Wayne Rooney or David De Gea?
- 1 Universities aren't working us hard enough, say undergraduates
- 2 Lego letter from the 1970s still offers a powerful message to parents 40 years later
- 3 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'