United States vs Germany World Cup 2014: How can the USA escape Group G?
A look at Clint Dempsey and Co must do to reach the knock-out phase
Tuesday 24 June 2014
Ahead of the final round of fixtures in Group G on Thursday, we look at what the United States must do to progress.
After being mere seconds from guaranteeing a place in the knock-out stages when they conceded a late goal to Portugal last week, the United States need only a draw to make it through to the World Cup’s last 16.
If they were to beat Germany, they will then have secured first place in Group G.
However, should the USA lose, they will find themselves at the mercy of either Ghana or Portugal. Ghana will send the Jurgen Klinsmann's side home should they beat Portugal and better the American's goal difference, yet the USA have the tiebreaker if the goal difference remains the same, having beaten the Black Stars in their first game of the competition. Portugal could also knockout the Americans should they beat Ghana and topple the United States on goal difference.
Both kick off at 5pm and are on the BBC.
Latest in Sport
Radamel Falcao: 'Changes are not easy, but there are times when you have to'
Female BBC presenter receives offensive and sexist letter after she criticised level of women's sport given TV coverage and sponsorship
Premier League 2015/16 kits: Confirmed and rumoured strips from Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and others
The 12 worst haircuts of the 2014/15 Premier League season
West Brom vs Arsenal: Aaron Ramsey desperate to be back in the middle for Arsenal title challenge
- 1 Toddler throws a tantrum at the White House – in front of Barack Obama
- 2 Irish people are travelling home from all over the world so they can vote to legalise gay marriage
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Witch doctor arrested after forcing newborn baby to walk in Indian village