United States vs Germany World Cup 2014: How can the USA escape Group G?
A look at Clint Dempsey and Co must do to reach the knock-out phase
Tuesday 24 June 2014
Ahead of the final round of fixtures in Group G on Thursday, we look at what the United States must do to progress.
After being mere seconds from guaranteeing a place in the knock-out stages when they conceded a late goal to Portugal last week, the United States need only a draw to make it through to the World Cup’s last 16.
If they were to beat Germany, they will then have secured first place in Group G.
However, should the USA lose, they will find themselves at the mercy of either Ghana or Portugal. Ghana will send the Jurgen Klinsmann's side home should they beat Portugal and better the American's goal difference, yet the USA have the tiebreaker if the goal difference remains the same, having beaten the Black Stars in their first game of the competition. Portugal could also knockout the Americans should they beat Ghana and topple the United States on goal difference.
Both kick off at 5pm and are on the BBC.
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Manchester United vs Liverpool - I don't understand why Brendan Rodgers was not more attacking against Basel
Jesus Christ plays for Chelsea - that's what one in five children thinks
Transfer Talk: Nemanja Vidic to return to Manchester United; Hazard to leave Chelsea; Sunderland want Radamel Falcao
Frank Warren column: Don't bet on Amir Khan landing pay day against Floyd Mayweather
Manchester United transfer news: Kevin Strootman move edges closer
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more