United States vs Portugal team news World Cup 2014: Cristiano Ronaldo STARTS for Portugal, Clint Dempsey leads the line for USA
Star player has been suffering with a knee injury all tournament
Sunday 22 June 2014
Cristiano Ronaldo will start for Portugal against USA in their must-not-lose Group G contest.
The world player of the year hasn't been able to shake a lingering left knee injury since coming to Brazil, but trained normally with the rest of his team-mates yesterday ahead of tonight's match.
Clint Dempsey, the former Fulham man, leads the line for the USA. The veteran striker broke his nose in USA's 2-1 victory over Ghana but will start.
Despite his "dream" of a goal against Ghana, US defender John Brooks is on the bench.
Portugal: Beto; Bruno Alves, Pereira, A.Almeida, Costa; Veloso, Meireles, Moutinho; Nani, Ronaldo, Postiga.
USA: Howard; Johnson, Cameron, Besler, Beasley; Beckerman, Jones; Bedoya, Bradley, Zusi; Dempsey.
Should Portugal lose in the Manaus jungle, they will be knocked out of the World Cup.
Latest in Sport
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: The best memes as the internet reacts to imminent £16m transfer
Sami Khedira to Arsenal? Arsene Wenger reveals the Gunners are still in the market for defensive midfielder
Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
Manchester United transfer news: Louis van Gaal tried and failed to sign German stars Thomas Muller and Marco Reus this summer
Tracey Emin: My Life In A Column
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist