Warning of violence towards England fans and player at Euro 2012
Friday 11 May 2012
Police have warned of the potential for unrest at the Euro 2012 football championships this summer with right-wing extremists targeting England's black footballers and fans for racist abuse.
Ukrainian extremists have reportedly made threats against the few thousand England fans expected to make the trip but police have not uncovered any evidence of plans for violence between rival groups.
Senior officers said they believed the potential for violence from England fans was low but warned that sustained racist barracking could lead to retaliation from England supporters.
England will play all of their first-round games in Ukraine.
"There are extremist groups in Ukraine engaged in football violence," said Assistant Chief Constable Andy Holt. "If there is a substantial amount of racist abuse, it may be a flashpoint for disorder if fans feel they are being unfairly or inappropriately treated."
Latest in Sport
Diego Costa injury: Chelsea striker a doubt for Everton match due to muscle injury
Mario Balotelli posts hilarious Beatles picture on Instagram as he awaits Liverpool debut
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger says he will be 'actively involved' on deadline day... but may not buy a striker despite Giroud injury
Arsenal vs Besiktas player ratings: Alexis Sanchez? Jack Wilshere? Mesut Ozil? Who was the star man at the Emirates Stadium?
Champions League draw: Liverpool meet Real Madrid, but should they fear facing the reigning champions?
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live