Whelan warns about Republic's 'gung-ho' approach
Thursday 01 September 2011
Glenn Whelan insists the Republic of Ireland will not jeopardise their Euro 2012 hopes by taking a gung-ho approach to their must-win game with Slovakia in Dublin tomorrow.
The Stoke midfielder said: "You don't want to be gung-ho and 2-0, 3-0 down after 10, 15 minutes. We have to go into the game the way we have done before, hard to beat, and then hopefully we can get a few goals."
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Emirates was the easy option for Mesut Ozil. He needs a leader - and Arsenal don't have them
Ronaldinho dream XI: John Terry, Frank Lampard and Claude Makelele are in as former Barcelona superstar names ideal side
UFC champion Ronda Rousey leaves presenter with broken ribs after he claims 'she can't compete with a man'
Gareth Bale reveals the two things he hates about Real Madrid: 'Getting nutmegged and Spanish spiders'
Cristiano Ronaldo shows off his dance moves, including the moonwalk
- 1 Tourist films plane's descent just metres above packed Caribbean beach
- 2 Kate Moss: Previously unpublished nude photo revealed by Mert and Marcus
- 3 Indian woman creates 'Marriage CV' after parents put her on dating site: 'Definitely not marriage material. Won’t grow long hair, ever'
- 4 World Book Day: Boy 'excluded' from school after dressing up as Fifty Shades' Christian Grey
- 5 Bad Jews poster 'censored' on London Tube