Whelan warns about Republic's 'gung-ho' approach
Thursday 01 September 2011
Glenn Whelan insists the Republic of Ireland will not jeopardise their Euro 2012 hopes by taking a gung-ho approach to their must-win game with Slovakia in Dublin tomorrow.
The Stoke midfielder said: "You don't want to be gung-ho and 2-0, 3-0 down after 10, 15 minutes. We have to go into the game the way we have done before, hard to beat, and then hopefully we can get a few goals."
Latest in Sport
Diego Costa injury: Chelsea striker a doubt for Everton match due to muscle injury
Arsenal transfer news: Gunners 'use Champions League draw to discuss move' for PSG teenager Adrien Rabiot
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger says he will be 'actively involved' on deadline day... but may not buy a striker despite Giroud injury
England manager Roy Hodgson lectures Luke Shaw over fitness issues
Demba Ba came within inches of dream move to Arsenal
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades