Wilshere 'gutted' by Capello resignation
Wednesday 08 February 2012
Jack Wilshere admitted his shock at Fabio Capello's resignation as England manager tonight.
Capello resigned following a meeting with Football Association chiefs at Wembley Stadium.
Arsenal midfielder Wilshere won his first cap under Capello against Hungary in August 2010.
The 20-year-old said on Twitter: "Shocked about news on Fabio Capello...gutted to be honest, gave me my 1st cap and believed in me! Thank you Mr Capello! £GreatManager."
Wilshere, who has not played this season because of injury, said Capello had had a "massive" impact on his career.
He tweeted: "People have there own judgement on Capello but for a young player who was given the chance to play for my country at such a young age...
"He has shown great belief and trust in me so I can only thank him....massive influence on my career so far! Sad to see him go!"
Former England defender Danny Mills criticised the FA for their handling of the situation and claimed the Euro 2012 campaign will be compromised as a result.
"It think the FA have handled this very badly," he told Radio Five Live.
"He's obviously decided enough's enough and walked out. He's almost dropped England right in it.
"There's an awful lot of preparation that has gone in it (Euro 2012). It just causes disruption. There will be speculation that people don't need.
"Players will be asked about Capello, the new manager and about John Terry.
"He's justified in his decision. Do England need this leading into a major tournament?"
Mills was also sceptical about whether Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp, the favourite to take over the reins, would be able to juggle the England job with his duties at Spurs.
"I presume Harry Redknapp is the favourite, but he's got a job to do with Spurs until the end of the season," he said.
"The FA have handled this really badly.
"You have to find a man very quickly. Someone who wants the job.
"If it's going to be Harry Redknapp are Spurs going to allow it?
"The FA are almost going to be held to ransom.
"The Euros is going to be a trial for whoever takes charge."
Redknapp was immediately installed as favourite to take over from Capello and lead England into this summer's European Championships, but Scotland boss Craig Levein was another to cast doubt on whether the 64-year-old - who was today cleared of tax evasion charges - would be able to do both jobs in the short term.
Levein said on BBC Radio 5 Live: "I think it's extremely difficult. I believe England have got a great opportunity in the summer going to the Euro finals.
"It might be very difficult for a manager to stay at his club and devote the time that's needed to do the England manager's job.
"I don't know what the FA will decide is best way forward."
Former FA chief executive David Davies claimed Redknapp would find the England job too tempting to turn down and Tottenham would be reluctant to stand in his way.
"Given the bizarre coincidence of the two events that came together today (Capello's resignation and Redknapp's acquittal) the odds have to be that Harry Redknapp will be the next manager of the England team," Davies said on Sky News.
"I think there are one or two other strong candidates, but there is a momentum now behind Harry Redknapp that the FA will find hard to resist.
"My instinct is that someone like Harry Redknapp ultimately will not want to turn down the job of England manager and my instinct is that Tottenham Hotspur ultimately will not want to stand in his way."
Like Wilshere, Tottenham defender Kyle Walker took to Twitter to express his disappointment at Capello's departure.
He posted: "Gutted to see Fabio Capello go he put a lot of trust in me and gave me my first cap just want to say a big thanks really.."
Former England captain Gary Lineker backed Walker's club boss for the top job, claiming he could manage both England and Spurs in the short term.
He tweeted: "As you ask I think new man should be English. Players have to be, so should boss. HR the man if he wants it. He can do both jobs til May."
QPR midfielder Joey Barton was typically forthright in his assessment of where tonight's developments, which followed John Terry being stripped of the captaincy, left the England team.
"Well, well, well, this debacle claims yet another victim. Where does this stop. £madness," he said on Twitter.
"No captain and no manager. 4 months from a major championship. What's going on......."
Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand, who earlier revealed he was not interested in taking over the captaincy from Terry, tweeted: "So Capello resigns....what now...."
Latest in Sport
Arsenal vs Aston Villa preview: I need to prove myself again at Villa, says Scott Sinclair
Transfer news and rumours LIVE: Juan Cuadrado to Chelsea, Cristiano Ronaldo to Manchester City, United want Gareth Bale
Chelsea vs Manchester City player ratings: David Silva saves the day but which City star stole the show at Stamford Bridge?
Arsene Wenger photobombs Arsenal photo shoot - manages to look like famous 'Bigfoot' picture
Kim Sears 'swearing' outburst threatens to overshadow Andy Murray's Australian Open semi-final win
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 4 Gorillaz Phase 4: Cartoon supergroup is back as new artwork is unveiled