World Cup 2014: Brazil do a Romania and go blonde against Mexico
But are blondes any better?
Brazil appeared to take inspiration from the Romania World Cup team of 1998 with a couple of members dying their hair blonde for the game with Mexico.
The face of the tournament, Neymar, was among those to turn his spiky cut a lighter shade and it appears he was accompanied to the barbers by his team-mate Dani Alves.
Perhaps the pair are hoping it might improve their game, although Neymar will have to go some to top his two goals in the opening match against Croatia.
The Barcelona duo certainly stood out during the Group A match in Fortaleza.
Dani Alves pictured against Mexico
However they were unable to make quite such an impact as the Romania team of 1998. At the tournament in France the entire team went blonde.
The entire Romania team went blonde at the '98 World Cup in France
It is not the first time hair cuts have been a subject of interest at this tournament. Twitter went into overdrive last week amid rumours David Luiz had cut his famous 'Sideshow Bob' locks off. He didn't, and for clarification, he hasn't gone blonde either.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory