World Cup 2014 countdown: Prince Fahid of Kuwait has France goal chalked off
Counting down the 100 greatest moments in the history of the World Cup
The World Cup in Brazil is coming into view and everyone is hoping this summer's carnival can take its place among some of the great tournaments of the past.
That won't be easy though, as this series will testify. In the run-up to the tournament, we're counting down the 100 greatest World Cup moments.
Check out our latest instalment below, and for any you missed, see the gallery at the end of the article.
Prince Fahid of Kuwait has France goal chalked off
One of the most bizarre World Cup moments occurred in 1982 during Kuwait's match with France. The French were winning 3-1 when Alain Giresse blasted in another when the Kuwaiti defenders were rooted to the spot.
The Arab team said they stopped upon hearing a mysterious whistle from the stands.
When the referee ignored their pleas, Prince Fahid, the Kuwaiti FA president decided to get involved, coming down from his seat in the stands to remonstrate with the referee.
Incredibly, the ref gave into his demands and disallowed the goal.
Kuwait lost the match 4-1 anyway, but referee Miroslav Stupar was banned from officiating and Prince Fahid was fined £8,000.
Latest in Sport
Phil Hughes head injury: Cricket world reels as Australian opener fights for his life
Robin van Persie says it's 'still possible' for Manchester United to win the Premier League title this season, but admits it will be 'very hard'
Sam Wallace: Players of Suarez’s standing just don’t sign for clubs like Liverpool
Lionel Messi transfer news: Manuel Pellegrini dismisses £200m Manchester City move for Barcelona star as 'rumours and only rumours'
Manchester United named Premier League's loudest fans despite late push by Chelsea according to 'Smart Meter' app
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film