World Cup 2014: How can Italy finish top of Group D?
We take a look at how Cesare Prandelli's side can finish top of Group D
Italy can still finish top of Group D but they will need a helping hand from the side they put out of the World Cup.
Costa Rica currently top the group on six points after beating Italy 1-0 and Uruguay 3-1.
And although their 2-1 win over England means they are second on goal difference ahead of Uruguay, they will be hoping to win to secure their passage to the second round.
However, they will need a three-goal turnaround and hope England beat Costa Rica in order to finish top of the group, avoiding the likes of Colombia when they qualify.
Possible second round opponents:
Ivory Coast, Japan or Greece
The Group D table in full...
Latest in Sport
Arsenal players boo chief-executive Ivan Gazidis after being told they would not get bonus for FA Cup triumph
Brendan Rodgers future: Odds shorten on Liverpool manager being sacked, despite Jurgen Klopp announcement
Liverpool transfer news: James Milner nearing Anfield switch, but club baulk at £32.5m Christian Benteke release clause
Fifa corruption: Europe plots to stage an 'alternative World Cup' in place of Russia 2018
Betting company 'refuse to pay' after student wins £1,000 from 50p bet on Roger Federer
- 1 Man on naked bike ride gets ejected after becoming aroused
- 2 Charles Kennedy 1959-2015: A gifted, compassionate politician whose career was cut short by the 'demon drink' - latest news
- 3 Ayyan Ali: Pakistan's top model now appears in the courtroom rather than on the catwalk
- 4 Fifa corruption: Europe plots to stage an 'alternative World Cup' in place of Russia 2018
- 5 Jaden Smith wears gender fluid dress to high school prom with Hunger Games actress