World Cup 2014: The best XI of the group stage
We select a team of stand-out players from the first stage of the tournament
Charles Reynolds is a freelance writer and journalist specialising in sport and the arts. He writes the Premier League previews for The Independent online and writes regularly for The Sport Review.
Friday 27 June 2014
The group stage is over and 48 games have been completed - it's been quite a tournament so far.
Brilliant goals and lots of them, dodgy defending, moments of controversy and some fantastic matches have conspired to make this a great tournament thus far.
With half the 32 teams that entered the competition either already back home or on their way there, we've taken the opportunity to pick our team of the group stage.
Some choices have been particularly difficult - how do you narrow down the strikers when it's been a World Cup full of attacking intent?
You can see the players that make it into our side in the gallery below.
Who would you have selected in the team instead? Let us know in the comments below.
Latest in Sport
Chelsea injury news: Cesc Fabregas and Branislav Ivanovic could join Diego Costa on the sidelines for crucial Manchester City clash
Australian Open 2015: Thanks to Amelie Mauresmo, it's no longer Andy Murray against the world
Manchester United sign former Manchester City prospect Sadiq El Fitouri on advice from Phil Neville and Paul Scholes
Kim Sears 'swearing' outburst threatens to overshadow Andy Murray's Australian Open semi-final win
Arsene Wenger photobombs Arsenal photo shoot - manages to look like famous 'Bigfoot' picture
- 1 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 4 Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
- 5 Rashida Jones speaks out against male-centric porn saying 'women should have sex and feel good about it'