World Cup 2014: WAGs face 'security issues' in Brazil, but Roy Hodgson welcomes Coleen Rooney and Co
The wives and girlfriends have been criticised in the past for causing a distraction
Roy Hodgson says the England players will be permitted to bring their wives and girlfriends – the WAGs – for the latter part of the squad's pre-World Cup training camp in Miami, but says they will face security issues in Brazil.
The WAGs have kept a low profile since they were judged to have been too visible at the 2006 World Cup in Germany. However, Miami, and the team's Mandarin Oriental hotel on Brickell Key, is likely to appeal to many of them.
Hodgson said: "In Miami, we have invited the players, or suggested to the players, that their wives could come for the later part of the stay there.
"When it comes to Brazil, we haven't made any hard and fast rules. It will be up to the players to decide, presumably around the games more than anything else, if they want to bring their wives there.
"There are issues [in Brazil] [and] I think it's important that they understand what issues there are likely to be in terms of security."
Lincoln MP Karl McCartney 'denied all knowledge' of the Twitter activity
Latest in Sport
Phil Hughes injury: Cricket world reels as Australian opener 'fights for his life'
Arsenal vs Borussia Dortmund player ratings: Who was the star man at the Emirates? Alexis Sanchez? Santi Cazorla? Or Yaya Sanogo?
Phil Hughes: A swashbuckling, raw and talented batsman who had the world at his feet
Phil Hughes dead: List of players who have tragically died on the cricket pitch
Arsenal vs Borussia Dortmund report: Yaya Sanogo and Alexis Sanchez are on target as Gunners secure impressive victory
- 1 Sean Abbott: Messages of support flood in for bowler following death of batsman Phil Hughes
- 2 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 3 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 4 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 5 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries