World Cup Countdown: 07/06/2010
3 days to go
Tuesday 08 June 2010
Dutch willing to risk Robben
Netherlands coach Bert van Marwijk is willing to gamble on the fitness of winger Arjen Robben by keeping him in the squad despite a hamstring strain that could rule him out of the tournament. "I'm willing to take the risk of keeping Robben in my squad," van Marwijk said. "In the past such an injury would take four to six weeks [to recover from] but nowadays the methods have developed."
* The Australia goalkeeper Brad Jones has withdrawn from the squad after his son was diagnosed with cancer. The 28-year-old has returned to Australia to be with his family. Socceroos coach Tim Verbeek said: "It's very sad news. We have decided he needs to be with his family." Adelaide United's Eugen Galekovic will replace the Middlesbrough goalkeeper if Fifa grant special dispensation.
* Park Ji-Sung has fully recovered from a back injury and will be fit for South Korea's opening game against Greece on Saturday.
* Mexico's versatile defender Rafael Marquez trained with the squad yesterday for the first time since they arrived at the World Cup.
Marquez, who has recovered from a right leg injury, trained without difficulties as they prepared for the opening match against hosts South Africa on Friday.
Quote of the day
"Brazil are a very strong team and so are Portugal, so North Korea need to be at their absolute best to be able to get through the group." Brazilian legend Zico on the uphill task facing the North Koreans, who are priced at 1/100 not to qualify from the "Group of Death."
Understatement of the day
"I have not been good. I cannot be satisfied with what I have done. I would like to do more, do better." - France striker Sidney Govou on his poor form for Les Bleus. The 30-year-old's scoreless streak for the national team stretches back to September 2008, and he has scored only 10 goals in 58 appearances.
Latest in Sport
Royal Rumble 2015: Roman Reigns triumphs after The Rock returns to set-up Wrestlemania showdown with Brock Lesnar
Google trolls Tottenham with Oxford dictionary definition of 'lackadaisical'
Gabriel Paulista: Talented Brazilian could grow into world-class defender at Arsenal
Phil Neville backtracks on Tomas Rosicky 'I'd smash him' comments from Match of the Day 2
Floyd Mayweather ends the carnival this week and picks his next fight - but will it be Amir Khan, Manny Pacquiao or Miguel Cotto
- 1 Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Dog thinks owner is drowning in lake, dives in and tries to pull him out
- 5 Thank heavens for Louise Mensch and her foul-mouthed tweets to world leaders