World Cup qualifier: Luxembourg v Northern Ireland match preview
A look ahead to tonight's World Cup qualifier in Stade Josy Barthel
Tuesday 10 September 2013
Northern Ireland should go into their tie with Luxembourg tonight expecting to come away with all three points. Michael O’Neill’s side were leading Portugal, seventh in the Fifa rankings, 2-1 until the 68th minute when Cristiano Ronaldo completed a fifteen minute hat trick to silence the Windsor Park crowd.
Despite that result, Northern Ireland will still have a confidence from their performance and their ability to have broken down the Portuguese defence twice; and also from their 1-0 victory over Russia in August.
Michael O’Neill will have to make a couple of changes to his starting line-up tonight due to the red cards to Chris Brunt and Kyle Lafferty from Friday night.
11 September 2012: Northern Ireland 1-1 Luxembourg
23 February 2000: Luxembourg 1-3 Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland haven’t had a goalless draw in 14 Championship matches.
No player in the Northern Ireland squad has more than 10 goals for their country.
N Ireland win – 2.1
Luxembourg win – 3.5
Draw – 3.2
TV: Live on Sky Sports 2 at 7.15pm
Latest in Sport
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims