World Cup qualifier: Luxembourg v Northern Ireland match preview
A look ahead to tonight's World Cup qualifier in Stade Josy Barthel
Tuesday 10 September 2013
Northern Ireland should go into their tie with Luxembourg tonight expecting to come away with all three points. Michael O’Neill’s side were leading Portugal, seventh in the Fifa rankings, 2-1 until the 68th minute when Cristiano Ronaldo completed a fifteen minute hat trick to silence the Windsor Park crowd.
Despite that result, Northern Ireland will still have a confidence from their performance and their ability to have broken down the Portuguese defence twice; and also from their 1-0 victory over Russia in August.
Michael O’Neill will have to make a couple of changes to his starting line-up tonight due to the red cards to Chris Brunt and Kyle Lafferty from Friday night.
11 September 2012: Northern Ireland 1-1 Luxembourg
23 February 2000: Luxembourg 1-3 Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland haven’t had a goalless draw in 14 Championship matches.
No player in the Northern Ireland squad has more than 10 goals for their country.
N Ireland win – 2.1
Luxembourg win – 3.5
Draw – 3.2
TV: Live on Sky Sports 2 at 7.15pm
Latest in Sport
Chelsea in Thailand: Eden Hazard offered 'free hug' as Jose Mourinho meets a familiar face
Heysel disaster 30th anniversary: Liverpool have seen too much tragedy to forget that fateful day in Belgium
Paul Scholes column: With Premier League over for another year, here are my end of season awards
Fifa bomb threat: Swiss authorities confirm a bomb threat has been made at the Fifa Congress
Michel Platini to consider pulling England and other Uefa members out of the World Cup if Sepp Blatter wins Fifa election
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 2 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone