World Cup referee gets snubbed for handshake, reacts pretty smoothly
Iker Casillas offers a reassuring pat on the back
World Cup 2014 referee Joe Fletcher suffered the embarrassment of having a handshake fail with a FIFA official televised around the world during the Spain v Chile match last night, though to his credit he handled it pretty coolly.
LIVE: Follow the latest news as England play Uruguay, plus Colombia v Ivory Coast and Japan v Greece
It seems the fast reactions needed to be a referee can be of benefit off the pitch too, with Fletcher turning his missed handshake into a 'wiping my brow' with lightning speed.
He was inadvertently dodged by an official in the tunnel ahead of the match, with Spanish captain Iker Casillas failing to stifle a laugh and even giving Fletcher a reassuring pat on the back.
Realising the oversight, the official quickly returned to the referee for a handshake, but the damage had already been done.
The moment was swiftly uploaded on Vine where it has already received 111,000 tweets.
As handshake fails go it could have been a lot worse, as this wince-inducing effort from Joseph Gordon Levitt shows.
Latest in Sport
Berbatov flees Bulgaria following kidnap threat
Arsenal vs Borussia Dortmund player ratings: Who was the star man at the Emirates? Alexis Sanchez? Santi Cazorla? Or Yaya Sanogo?
Arsenal vs Borussia Dortmund: Per Mertesacker delighted with defensive display
Arsenal vs Borussia Dortmund match report: Yaya Sanogo and Alexis Sanchez are on target as Gunners secure impressive victory
This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 1 'Kidnapped boy may have been abused and murdered by VIP paedophile ring,' say police
- 2 Ridley Scott on Exodus, Gods and Kings casting: 'I'm not going to get it financed if my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such'
- 3 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 4 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school