75 people charged following football riot in Egypt
Thursday 15 March 2012
Egypt's top prosecutor has charged 75 people with murder and negligence in connection with a deadly soccer riot last month in the Mediterranean city of Port Said.
At least 74 people were killed in the February 1 riot, the world's worst soccer-related disaster in 15 years.
Those charged on Thursday include nine police officers and two minors. Among the police officers are Maj. Gen. Issam Samak, who was Port Said's chief of security at the time of the riot.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Latest in Sport
Sam Wallace: David Moyes is paying the price of United’s virtual abstinence from top-level transfers since 2006. Can he refire their ambition?
Arsenal 1 Everton 1 match report: Gerard Deulofeu provides late sucker punch after Mesut Ozil's opener
I will not be forced into panic buys at Manchester United, says David Moyes
Gerard Deulofeu - Why Barcelona chose Everton to educate their latest prodigy
Ashes 2013-14 match report: Another woeful display sees England lose to Australia by 218 runs to go down 2-0
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 An obsessive’s documenting of Israeli war crimes in Lebanon can show us how the West lost respect for international law
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis