Aaron Ramsey scores – and the music stops
Every time Arsenal midfielder and Wales captain Aaron Ramsey scores, someone famous dies. That's the theory spreading around football forums. This weekend, his goal against Sunderland was blamed for the death of Whitney Houston and previous efforts have apparently seen off Muammar Gaddafi, Steve Jobs and Osama bin Laden.
But does the "Angel of Death" theory stand up? We cross-referenced his goals with notable deaths and found that these four are the only ones that fit the bill. But we did come up with an alternative theory...
On most of the days on which Ramsey scores a notable musician dies. The day after Ramsey found the net on 3 Jan 2010, producer Tony Clarke passed away. Five days earlier, a goal spelt the end for The Birthday Party's Rowland Howard. A December 2009 goal saw off guitarist Jack Rose and a November '09 goal came the day before rapper Derek B died of a heart attack. Perhaps Whitney was just the smoking gun...
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Latest in Sport
Jagielka: Moyes needs to bring in his own players
United’s ambitious transfer plans at risk from top-four failure
English clubs ditch Heineken Cup - confirming they will not take part in any ERC run competition in 2014-15
Brazil World Cup 2014 draw: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
Manchester City sign the 'new Lionel Messi' Brahim Abdelkader, and in doing so put one over Barcelona
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 Video: Students 'punched and dragged to the ground by their hair' as police break up demonstration