Beckham 'not famous enough' to appear on The Simpsons
Tuesday 05 January 2010
David Beckham was apparently turned down for a cameo on The Simpsons because producers didn't think he was famous enough.
The footballer and style icon may have posed in nothing but his pants on a giant billboard for Armani underwear, but he was not turned into a yellow cartoon to meet Bart and Homer as executives behind the hit TV show felt he wasn't well known enough in the US.
Executive producer Al Jean told The Daily Mirror: "I had to phone David Beckham to tell him sorry - I didn't think he was a big enough star for an American audience."
He added: "I got a lot of grief about that.
"Some people got angry about it and told me, 'I bet you would have put George Best on'. But I would have turned him down too."
British celebrities to have guest starred on The Simpsons include Ricky Gervais and Emily Blunt - and Simon Cowell is about to make his third cameo appearance this year.
sportLiverpool 5 Norwich City 1: Uruguayan striker has now scored 11 league goals against the club
arts + entsOlivier-nominated actor and singer is set to star in Lloyd Webber's musical about the Profumo affair
filmWith more than 70 per cent of early films lost, archivists are scouring the world to preserve the precious examples that remain
sportThe coach of Chalfont St Peter's under-10s football team was relieved of his duties after he sent an email to parents that said: 'I am only interested in winning'
techA piece of new hi-tech kit aims to get us scribbling again
indybestMake getting out of the wrong side of bed on cold winter mornings a thing of the past with our selection of night-time covers
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Latest in Sport
- 1 The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 UK chef creates world's most expensive ready meal - a fish pie costing £314
- 4 Food poverty in UK has reached level of 'public health emergency', warn experts
- 5 I’m sure Kate Moss doesn't care about posing for Playboy. But I do