Chelsea racism: Five men allegedly involved in Paris Metro incident face court appearance

A video emerged coinciding with Chelsea's Champions League trip the French capital to play PSG that showed a black man being refused entry to a train

Five men involved in incidents on the Paris Metro ahead of a Chelsea match have been served with summonses, police have said.

The men will appear at Waltham Forest Magistrates' Court on March 25 "regarding a police application for football banning orders", Scotland Yard said.

LIVE: Chelsea vs PSG latest

Controversy erupted last month when Chelsea fans were filmed singing racist chants and refusing to let a black man on a train ahead of the Champions League clash against Paris St Germain.

A Metropolitan Police statement said the summonses were served on Wednesday and Tuesday.

The development comes on the day that the two teams meet in the return leg of the tie in London. They will compete for a place in the Champions League quarter-finals at Chelsea's Stamford Bridge stadium.

Football banning orders are issued by courts following a conviction for a football-related offence after a complaint by the Crown Prosecution Service or a local police force, the Home Office website says.

They can last for between three and 10 years. Breaches of the orders can result in a sentence of up to six months in prison.

Footage captured by a bystander before Chelsea drew 1-1 with Paris St Germain appeared to show a man being pushed back on to the platform amid chants of "We're racist, we're racist and that's the way we like it".

The commuter, identified only as 33-year-old Souleymane, said later he felt "truly wounded to the bottom of my heart".

He said: "We're in 2015, aren't we, and we're in France. We're in a civilised country and when you are in a civilised country there are certain things you can't do.

"For me, it's a humiliation. I was humiliated in my country. I was humiliated in front of my family, humiliated in front of my mother and father."

In light of the incident, Scotland Yard said it would examine the footage to establish whether police could make an application for football banning orders.

Chelsea FC said previously it was "appalled" and apologised to the victim, while manager Jose Mourinho said he was "ashamed" of the fans involved.

Comments