Clichy claims banana was thrown on to pitch during Limerick game
Tuesday 07 August 2012
An investigation is under way into claims by Manchester City defender Gaël Clichy that a banana was thrown on to the pitch during his side's friendly win over Limerick.
The Gardai and stadium officials are studying CCTV footage in an attempt to identify a spectator alleged to have thrown the object on to the pitch during the Premier League champions' 4-0 victory at Thomond Park on Sunday.
A statement released on behalf of Limerick FC and Thomond Park Stadium said: "The Gardai and stadium officials are reviewing the CCTV recordings to attempt to identify an individual involved in the throwing of an offensive object on to the playing field.
"Any individual identified as being involved in an incident of this nature will be banned from future attendance and the matter will be handed over to the Gardai."
It is understood that Manchester City made no formal complaint over the incident, which was mentioned by Clichy via his Twitter account.
Latest in Sport
A tight game could be in prospect here. Northampton have been keeping things very tight of late and ...
by Gareth Purnell
18 May 2013 02:01 AM
I can’t ever watch games of football or rugby without wistfully wondering what it must be like to be...
by Martin Ayres
16 May 2013 05:10 PM
Since PSG’s exit to Barcelona in the Uefa Champions League quarter-final in April, PSG have been sur...
by Matthew Riding
15 May 2013 02:37 PM
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.