Crouch cuts a dash in Tottenham barber shop duet
The Tottenham striker Peter Crouch reopened a barber shop devastated in the riots in the area around White Hart Lane yesterday after a campaign to keep its 89-year-old owner in business raised £35,000.
Barber Aaron Biber has become one of the best-known stories of those affected by the riots after his shop on Scotland Green, just off the Tottenham High Road, was devastated by looters. Pictures of the shop taken in the aftermath of the attack showed a signed picture from Crouch given to Biber more than a year ago, which was one of his few possessions to survive.
Biber, who had no insurance, faced closure. However, the money raised by the campaign meant that the barber, who has cut hair in Tottenham for 41 years, was able to continue in business. One of his first new customers was Crouch who, despite their height differentials, squeezed himself into one of the chairs and had a trim yesterday.
Latest in Sport
The guard has changed at Old Trafford for the first time in 26 years. Meanwhile, down the road, the ...
by The Sports Lawyer
21 May 2013 10:01 PM
With the top nine players in the men’s world tennis rankings all missing this tournament to prepare ...
by Gareth Purnell
21 May 2013 02:01 AM
When cyclists look back on their careers spanning many hundreds (and in some cases possibly thousand...
by Martin Ayres
20 May 2013 06:12 PM
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.