Dodgy keepers: Manchester United flops and those who could replace Edwin Van der Sar
Thursday 27 January 2011
Edwin van der Sar's decision to retire at the end of the season presents Sir Alex Ferguson with a major decision to make this summer.
Ever since Peter Schmeichel proved such a pivotal part of the all-conquering team of the 90s, wearing the Manchester United number one shirt has come with huge gloves to fill.
Arguably, it was not until Van der Sar's arrival from Fulham in 2005 that Ferguson found a worthy replacement for Schmeichel, but the Dutchman was 34 then and, although his performances have been of a consistently high standard, age has now caught up with him.
Here we take a look at the United goalkeepers who failed to make the grade and those who have been linked with the club as a replacement for Van der Sar.
Latest in Sport
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: The best memes as the internet reacts to imminent £16m transfer
Sami Khedira to Arsenal? Arsene Wenger reveals the Gunners are still in the market for defensive midfielder
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Risky business to think Balotelli can replace Suarez
Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
AEL Limassol vs Tottenham match report: Erik Lamela shrugs off last season’s woes to set up Spurs fightback
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians