Everton distance themselves after Romelu Lukaku appears to defend Nicolas Anelka 'quenelle' gesture
The on-loan Chelsea striker appeared to suggest the furore had been blown out of proportion in a video on Everton's website
Tuesday 21 January 2014
Everton have distanced themselves from on-loan striker Romelu Lukaku's defence of Nicolas Anelka over his controversial 'quenelle' gesture.
The Belgium forward featured in a video interview posted on the Toffees' website in which he said there did not have to be "such a big deal" made about the West Brom player's actions.
However, with comment growing on social media, Everton removed the footage when they became aware there was an issue.
"It is the player's opinion and not the opinion held by the football club," Everton's director of communications Alan Myers told Press Association Sport.
"We moved quickly to remove any interview that may have been offensive to anyone.
"The last thing we want to do is cause offence to anyone."
Press Association Sport understands, due to the way the website is managed in collaboration with external partners, the interview from the post-match mixed zone after Everton's 1-1 draw at West Brom was conducted by another media organisation and uploaded without anyone at the club initially being fully aware of its content.
Everton have yet to speak to Lukaku, who is an ambassador for football's anti-discrimination group Kick It Out, about what he said but it is believed the striker's relatively young age - he is 20 - and friendship with Anelka will be taken into consideration.
There is no suggestion the striker will be disciplined as a result of his comments.
West Brom striker Nicolas Anelka makes an alleged anti-Semitic gesture when celebrating his first goal against West Ham
On Tuesday Anelka was charged by the Football Association with making an improper gesture and that it was an aggravated breach, in that it included "a reference to ethnic origin and/or race and/or religion or belief".
Under new FA rules, such aggravated offences carry a minimum five-match ban and possibly a longer suspension.
Speaking after Monday's game and before Anelka was charged, Lukaku - who knows the Frenchman from their time together at Chelsea - said in the interview posted on evertontv: "He was my idol as a kid and he still is.
"I don't think he should be banned for that, he was just supporting a comedian in France. We don't have to make such a big deal about it.
"I hope he doesn't get suspended because he is a player people want to play on the pitch."
Latest in Sport
Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
Angel Di Maria to Bayern Munich: The reasons why Thomas Muller and Arjen Robben will not be joining Manchester United
Manchester United transfer news: No 9 shirt left vacant - a hint that new striker will be arriving?
Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview after being asked about possible sale of Manchester United target Sergio Ramos
Wimbledon 2015: Nick Kyrgios set for heavy fine for giving up game during loss to Richard Gasquet
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 4 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
- 5 The Greece debt crisis explained in less than 100 words
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts