Gareth Bale only Premier League player in Uefa.com team of the year
Wednesday 18 January 2012
Tottenham winger Gareth Bale was today named in UEFA.com users' team of the year for 2011 alongside eight Spain-based players.
The 22-year-old Wales international, who helped Spurs reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League last season, was the only Barclays Premier League representative in the XI.
Five players from European champions Barcelona - Dani Alves, Gerard Pique, Xavi, Andres Iniesta and Lionel Messi - made the line-up along with Real Madrid trio Iker Casillas, Marcelo and Cristiano Ronaldo.
Bayern Munich's Holland forward Arjen Robben and AC Milan's Brazil centre-back Thiago Silva completed the team, chosen by 380,000 uefa.com users, with Barca coach Pep Guardiola selected on the bench.
sportBayern Munich 2 Manchester City 3: City come from two down to beat reigning European Champions
newsAs the world remembers Mandela the hero, the prison where he spent 27 years seems all the more brutal
arts + ents... and a chance to paint Booker Prize winning author Hilary Mantel
danceUnder Tamara Rojo's inspired direction, it seems possible that it could challenge the dominance of the Royal Ballet. We meet some established names and rising stars
travelDiscover Uruguay's jet-set beach resort, an Atlantic enclave with plenty of art and culture to explore on the side
Latest in Sport
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent