Havant & W 1 Millwall 2: Dunne sinks Havant's hopes of pay-day from replay

Click to follow
The Independent Online

The FA Cup has not been kind to Waterlooville and Havant. The non-League part-timers were swept out of the competition by a spectacular Millwall winner having been forced to play this "home" tie at Portsmouth's Fratton Park.

Alan Dunne's 25-yard volley 18 minutes from time gave Millwall a 2-1 win and denied the Conference South club a replay in London which would have at least given them a profit.

Ben May gave the Lions a fourth-minute lead when he tapped home Chris Hackett's cross. But Rocky Baptiste continued his record of scoring in every round on 56 minutes when side-footing home Mo Harkin's centre to equalise.

Richard Pacquette came close to giving the minnows the lead with a diving header. But within a minute Millwall were celebrating their second goal which gives them a trip to Bradford in the second round when Dunne cleanly hit Luke Byles's headed clearance into the roof of the net from outside the box.

Ian Baird, the Havant manager, said: "I thought we could have won the game. We've been penalised for playing this home tie here." Dunne said: "When I saw the ball coming down I knew it would end up in the net as soon as I hit it ­ it was a great feeling."

Havant and Waterlooville (4-4-2): Gore; Michael Warner, Jordan, Byles, Gregory (Holdsworth, 74); Harkin (Watkins, 81), Collins (Simpson, 81), Taggart, Poate; Pacquette, Baptiste. Substitutes not used: Sharp, Howells.

Millwall (4-4-2): Pidgeley; Senda (Ross, 45), Robinson, Shaw, Whitbread; Hackett, McInnes (Mawene, 90), Elliott, Dunne; Zebroski, May (Byfield, 47). Substitutes not used: Day, Hubertz.

Referee: R Lee (Brentwood).

* The former Manchester United and England midfielder Paul Ince enjoyed his first taste of FA Cup action as a manager as his Macclesfield side held out for a 0-0 draw at home to Wallsall to earn a replay.

* The Hearts captain, Steven Pressley, was dropped from the team that drew 1-1 at Falkirk last night. Pressley last month revealed dressing room " unrest" at Tynecastle, amid talk of the chairman, Roman Romanov, having a hand in team affairs. Andrius Velicka put Hearts ahead against the run of play midway through the second half before Russell Latapy levelled with six minutes left.