ITV's Adrian Chiles voted the most gaffe prone football pundit this season
Brummie has two ill-advised quips in list of the top 10 gaffes this season - plus we take a look at the greatest gaffes of all-time
Thursday 10 April 2014
ITV bosses look away now. Their anchorman, Adrian Chiles, has been voted the most gaffe-prone football pundit this season.
The brummie had not one, but two ill-advised quips in a list of the top 10 most embarrassing football pundit gaffes this season, from talking abut the perils of upsetting Polish fans: "I’m trying to get some building work done at the moment, quite seriously. Be careful,” to promising anyone still watching Fulham's dire FA Cup replay with Sheffield United a crisp five pound note: "If you’re still watching, write in and we’ll send you a fiver each." Unsurprisingly, plenty of people took him up on his offer.
While Chiles was the only name to have two clangers in the poll, conducted by fantasy football firm Oulala.com, Matt Le Tissier took the top honour of the biggest gaffe of the season with this humdinger of a prediction regarding the Premier League title race: "Who’ll win the league? It’s a coin toss between three of them."
Here's the list of this season's most embarrassing gaffes in full...
Matt Le Tissier 1. “Who’ll win the league? It’s a coin toss between three of them” – Matt Le Tissier (23 %)
2. "If that happens anywhere else on the pitch, it's a stonewall penalty" – Chris Kamara (21 %)
3. "In the last year, 46 of the 92 managers have lost their jobs - that's over half" – David Pleat (20%)
4. “I’m trying to get some building work done at the moment, quite seriously. Be careful.” Adrian Chiles talking about the perils of upsetting Polish football fans (19%)
5. "You need to take off your rose-scented glasses" – Robbie Savage (18%)
6. “If you’re still watching, write in and we’ll send you a fiver each” – Adrian Chiles at it again, this time promising anyone who was still watching Fulham’s FA Cup Replay with Sheffield United a fiver. Unsurprisingly plenty of people took him up on the offer (18%)
7. "Sandro's holding his face. You can tell from that it's a knee injury." – Dion Dublin (17%)
8. "For me, Loic Remy is the key to this goal" – Jamie Redknapp talking about a goal scored by Loic Remy (16%)
9. "David Moyes was just staring at me with his eyes. Literally" – Tony Cascarino (15%)
10. "Arsenal literally finished the game after 15 minutes" – Ian Wright (14%)
While Chiles may be the gaffe king this season, the late David Coleman's "If that had gone in, it would have been a goal" was voted the most embarrassing football gaffe of all time in the study. Check out the top 10 gaffes of all time below...
Oulala.com’s managing director Benjamin Carlotti said: “A good football verbal clanger never fails to make you smile so we wanted to celebrate some of the biggest slip-ups.”
Latest in Sport
- 1 I was a Woman Against Feminism too
- 2 Fifty Shades of Grey movie trailer released: First look at Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 The Tory donor whose firm is one of Britain’s biggest tax avoiders - with HMRC's blessing
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia