ITV's Adrian Chiles voted the most gaffe prone football pundit this season
Brummie has two ill-advised quips in list of the top 10 gaffes this season - plus we take a look at the greatest gaffes of all-time
ITV bosses look away now. Their anchorman, Adrian Chiles, has been voted the most gaffe-prone football pundit this season.
The brummie had not one, but two ill-advised quips in a list of the top 10 most embarrassing football pundit gaffes this season, from talking abut the perils of upsetting Polish fans: "I’m trying to get some building work done at the moment, quite seriously. Be careful,” to promising anyone still watching Fulham's dire FA Cup replay with Sheffield United a crisp five pound note: "If you’re still watching, write in and we’ll send you a fiver each." Unsurprisingly, plenty of people took him up on his offer.
While Chiles was the only name to have two clangers in the poll, conducted by fantasy football firm Oulala.com, Matt Le Tissier took the top honour of the biggest gaffe of the season with this humdinger of a prediction regarding the Premier League title race: "Who’ll win the league? It’s a coin toss between three of them."
Here's the list of this season's most embarrassing gaffes in full...
Matt Le Tissier 1. “Who’ll win the league? It’s a coin toss between three of them” – Matt Le Tissier (23 %)
2. "If that happens anywhere else on the pitch, it's a stonewall penalty" – Chris Kamara (21 %)
3. "In the last year, 46 of the 92 managers have lost their jobs - that's over half" – David Pleat (20%)
4. “I’m trying to get some building work done at the moment, quite seriously. Be careful.” Adrian Chiles talking about the perils of upsetting Polish football fans (19%)
5. "You need to take off your rose-scented glasses" – Robbie Savage (18%)
6. “If you’re still watching, write in and we’ll send you a fiver each” – Adrian Chiles at it again, this time promising anyone who was still watching Fulham’s FA Cup Replay with Sheffield United a fiver. Unsurprisingly plenty of people took him up on the offer (18%)
7. "Sandro's holding his face. You can tell from that it's a knee injury." – Dion Dublin (17%)
8. "For me, Loic Remy is the key to this goal" – Jamie Redknapp talking about a goal scored by Loic Remy (16%)
9. "David Moyes was just staring at me with his eyes. Literally" – Tony Cascarino (15%)
10. "Arsenal literally finished the game after 15 minutes" – Ian Wright (14%)
While Chiles may be the gaffe king this season, the late David Coleman's "If that had gone in, it would have been a goal" was voted the most embarrassing football gaffe of all time in the study. Check out the top 10 gaffes of all time below...
Oulala.com’s managing director Benjamin Carlotti said: “A good football verbal clanger never fails to make you smile so we wanted to celebrate some of the biggest slip-ups.”
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Manchester United vs Liverpool - I don't understand why Brendan Rodgers was not more attacking against Basel
Jesus Christ plays for Chelsea - that's what one in five children thinks
Transfer Talk: Nemanja Vidic to return to Manchester United; Hazard to leave Chelsea; Sunderland want Radamel Falcao
Frank Warren column: Don't bet on Amir Khan landing pay day against Floyd Mayweather
Manchester United transfer news: Kevin Strootman move edges closer
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
New era of cheap oil 'will destroy green revolution'
Ukip founder Alan Sked and Nigel Farage 'begged Enoch Powell to stand as a candidate'
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant