Jack Wilshere positive over ankle injury news
Wednesday 03 August 2011
Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere is optimistic he will be fully fit in a matter of days after tests showed he has suffered nothing worse than an inflammation of his ankle.
Wilshere sustained a knock in the Gunners' pre-season friendly against New York Red Bulls on Sunday and underwent a scan today.
It was hoped the procedure would shed some light on whether he would miss England's friendly with Holland next week, although his participation remains in the balance with no definitive timescale in place for his return.
Wilshere confirmed on his Twitter account last night: "Ankle scan just showed some inflammation. Hopefully will settle down in a few days."
The scan result confirms the initial prognosis of the Arsenal medical staff, who informed manager Arsene Wenger that he could expect to be without the 19-year-old for a week.
The injury could still rule Wilshere out of the Gunners' final pre-season friendly at Benfica on Saturday.
Wenger said after Sunday's game against New York that Wilshere would be unavailable for England's August 10 friendly against Holland should he fail to recover in time to play in Portugal.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta clashes with President Obama on LGBT equality: ‘Gay rights is really a non-issue’
- 2 Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
- 3 Mers outbreak: Manchester Royal Infirmary A&E closes over suspected cases
- 4 Jon Snow alive? New Game of Thrones toy line suggests he's not among the dead
- 5 Denmark bans kosher and halal slaughter as minister says ‘animal rights come before religion’
The 9 charts that show the 'left-wing' policies of Jeremy Corbyn the public actually agrees with
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
What the Labour party could look like under Jeremy Corbyn
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park