Man arrested over racial abuse of Darren Bent's mother
A man was arrested on suspicion of racially abusing the mother of Premier League striker Darren Bent, police said today.
The Sunderland player's mother was allegedly picked on by a Black Cats fan in a pub following the side's 1-0 defeat at Wigan on Saturday.
The England man wrote about the incident on his Twitter page, saying: "So we get beat by Wigan and to make matters worse my mum gets racially abused by a SUNDERLAND fan.
"I won't stand for that."
Greater Manchester Police and their counterparts in the Northumbria force launched a joint investigation.
A 26-year-old from Chester-le-Street, County Durham, was arrested at 6.50pm yesterday, Northumbria Police said.
The force said the man was arrested on suspicion of racially aggravated harassment at an alleged incident in Wigan on Saturday, on behalf of Greater Manchester Police.
He was released on police bail until January 12.
interviewThe producer and activist, whose film 'Filth' is up for five British Independent Film awards, is tapping into the industry's neglected female talent
Black Sabbath have pulled off one of rock music’s great comebacks – against all odds
Theatre's hitmaker Daniel Evans on 'Oliver' and bringing 'The Full Monty' to the stage
Her estate has become the nation's glossiest food empire
Michelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
Parents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
Holly Williams joins the staff at the online grocer Ocado ahead of the last-minute Christmas-food rush at the firm's mammoth warehouse
For broadcaster Mishal Husain, a long-haul Club Med holiday was a chance for her family to explore its sense of 'zen' and 'animation'
Festive snacks don't have to be fiddly
Latest in Sport
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail