Nike to stand by Rooney
Wayne Rooney's sponsors Nike have confirmed they will stick with the Manchester United striker despite lurid allegations about his private life.
Rooney's lucrative deals with Nike, EA Sports and Coca-Cola have helped boost his personal fortune to £35million, according to the Sunday Times Rich List.
A spokesman for Nike said: "We have worked with Wayne for seven years and he continues to be a Nike athlete.
"This is a private matter for Wayne and his family and we have no further comment to make at this time."
Nike also stood by golfer Tiger Woods as the world number one admitted a string of affairs which led to the breakdown of his marriage.
Coca-Cola declined to comment on their own business relationship with Rooney, with a spokesman for the company saying: "This is a private matter for Wayne and his family."
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Latest in Sport
- 1 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 2 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 3 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
- 4 Cycle death inquest: Boyfriend hugs driver of 32 tonne tipper truck that killed his girlfriend
- 5 Burglar steals video tapes of child abuse, hands them into police