Nike to stand by Rooney
Wayne Rooney's sponsors Nike have confirmed they will stick with the Manchester United striker despite lurid allegations about his private life.
Rooney's lucrative deals with Nike, EA Sports and Coca-Cola have helped boost his personal fortune to £35million, according to the Sunday Times Rich List.
A spokesman for Nike said: "We have worked with Wayne for seven years and he continues to be a Nike athlete.
"This is a private matter for Wayne and his family and we have no further comment to make at this time."
Nike also stood by golfer Tiger Woods as the world number one admitted a string of affairs which led to the breakdown of his marriage.
Coca-Cola declined to comment on their own business relationship with Rooney, with a spokesman for the company saying: "This is a private matter for Wayne and his family."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Greece debt crisis explained: A history of just how the country landed itself in such a mess
- 3 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 4 Greek debt crisis: Yanis Varoufakis's funniest (and most memorable) quotes
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts