Pensioner arrested for throwing banana at referee
Friday 25 January 2013
A 74-year-old man was arrested after allegedly throwing a banana at the referee during last night's game between AFC Wimbledon and Port Vale.
The elderly Wimbledon fan was interviewed by police following the bizarre incident, which was not thought to be racially motivated.
Port Vale fought back from two goals down to earn a draw and protect their status as League Two leaders. The Dons had taken the lead through a Jack Midson double but were pegged back by strikes from Daniel Jones and Tom Pope.
'We saw the banana thrown on to the pitch and then reviewed television coverage,' football intelligence officer Sam Cunningham told This Is Staffordshire.
'It appears a supporter was angered by a decision by the referee and aimed a banana at him. It was not aimed anywhere near any player.'
Referee Graham Stott was unharmed by the incident.
Latest in Sport
The Prince of Wales Stakes today is regarded by many as the No1 race of the Royal Ascot meeting and ...
by Gareth Purnell
19 June 2013 02:01 AM
Today’s St James Palace looks a cracker and there has been sustained money for Dawn Approach since t...
by Gareth Purnell
18 June 2013 02:01 AM
Newcastle don’t need a football director – they need a new medical team after finishing bottom of the injury league
Newcastle United have shocked their fans by appointing Joe Kinnear as director of football but new f...
by Alex Miller
17 June 2013 04:39 PM
ACT Brumbies v British and Irish Lions - player ratings
Liverpool close in on £6m Spanish winger Luis Alberto
In pictures: Royal Ascot 2013 - Opening day
Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for further 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
Italy Under-21s 2 Spain Under-21s 4 match report: Thiago Alcantara's hat-trick seals European Championship for Spanish youngsters
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, Chancellor George Osborne told
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf