Swansea pair arrested for anti-Cardiff display after cup triumph

Click to follow

The Swansea players Lee Trundle and Alan Tate were arrested yesterday by police and charged by the Football Association of Wales following the anti-Cardiff obscenities they paraded at the Millennium Stadium.

Swansea beat Carlisle 2-1 in Sunday's Football League Trophy but the occasion in Cardiff was tarnished by events after the final whistle. Trundle struck a spectacular opening goal but after the victory he carried a Welsh flag bearing the words "Fuck off, Cardiff" and donned a T-shirt on which a cartoon showed a man urinating on a Cardiff No 9 shirt.

South Wales Police arrested the players yesterday following a number of complaints - many from Swansea fans - while the FAW have also charged the pair with a disrepute charge.

Neither player had been charged by police by early yesterday evening, but in a statement, South Wales Police said: "South Wales Police have arrested a 23-year-old man and a 29-year-old man on suspicion of section four public order offences. Both men have been bailed until the end of April."

The Swansea manager, Kenny Jackett, said: "I honestly don't think the players knew what they were doing, it was something that was in the heat of the moment and I'm sure they regret their actions."

However, Tate and Trundle could now face suspensions from the FAW. A statement from the Welsh FA read: "The Football Association of Wales has concluded that charges will be issued against Swansea City FC and two of their players Lee Trundle and Alan Tate.

"These charges are in connection with the events which followed the conclusion of the Football League Trophy Final."

* The Bulgarian Premier League club Vihren Sandanski have appealed against a four-match ban for their player-coach, Georgi Bachev,who was sent off in a league game on Saturday. The referee booked Bachev after he complained against the official's decision to start the game after ordering two of his team-mates to the dugout to remove wedding rings. Bachev was shown a second yellow card early in the second half for what he said was "shouting to a team-mate to pass me the ball". Despite their 10 men Vihren beat Rodopa Smolyan 2-1.