The Internazionale president Massimo Moratti and the Juventus general manager, Luciano Moggi, have both ruled out a move for Arsenal's Thierry Henry. "I think we already have [quality] strikers, so we don't look to him," Moratti said. The news will be a relief to the Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger and vice-chairman David Dein as speculation mounts as to whether Henry will sign a contract extension with the Gunners or decide that his future lies on the Continent.
Glen Johnson is apparently a target for the West Ham manager Alan Pardew in the January transfer window. The 21-year-old has made only one appearance so far and Pardew is reportedly ready to make a £3m offer. Striker Carlton Cole has joined a long list of players linked with a loan move to Ipswich. The Internazionale striker Adriano, who was a potential target for Chelsea in the summer, has extended his contract with the Milan club until the 2009-10 season.
Manchester City are looking to add to their attacking options and have targetted the Fulham playmaker Steed Malbranque and Ajax's Steven Pienaar. City manager Stuart Pearce had a £4m offer for Malbranque rejected in the summer but a £5m bid could tempt Fulham to sell. South African Pienaar is out of contract in the summer and could move in January for a knock-down fee. Pearce would face competition from Valencia, Borussia Dortmund and Werder Bremen.
Milan Mandaric, the Portsmouth owner, insists manager Alain Perrin is still the right man for the job despite criticising him for his show of frustration on Saturday against Bolton. Perrin was sent off from the dugout after sarcastically applauding referee Mark Clattenburg. "It's disappointing, I don't approve of this at all and we should leave referees to do their job," Mandaric said. "But I am behind Alain, he is a highly professional manager who has a tremendous work ethic."
Kevin Phillips is making good progress from his calf injury and aims to be back in first-team action against Middlesbrough on Sunday. "I don't want to say I will definitely make it because I don't want to let anyone down, but there is definitely a chance there," Phillips said. "Things are going well and the injury is reacting well. It is only a little tear in the calf." The news will be a boost for David O'Leary who is already missing Milan Baros through an Achilles injury.
The Everton chief executive, Keith Wyness, has criticised the section of fans who called for David Moyes to be sacked after the 1-0 defeat by Wigan. Everton plunged to the foot of the Premiership over the weekend after finishing fourth last term. Wyness has called for everyone associated with the club to pull together. "David has shown he can deliver and this is nothing more than a blip," Wyness said. "There is no other manager I would rather have trying to pull us through than David Moyes."
Gary Neville believes that United are still in the title race - despite being 10 points behind runaway leaders Chelsea. "You cannot predict who will win the title," Neville said. "We have a great chance as there are 31 games left and we believe we can win every game." The reserve team coach Ricky Sbragia is close to quitting his position at Old Trafford and looks set to join Bolton's backroom staff. The 49-year-old Sbragia is likely to work alongside Sammy Lee as first-team coach.
Alan Stubbs sees himself playing for the Black Cats for at least another couple of seasons and says despite his age he still has the desire to win. "I see myself here for a couple of years yet. This season drives me on and whatever next season brings will do the same. I don't see any reason why that shouldn't be there," he said, "I'm 33 now and the desire to win is still as strong as when I was 17." Stubbs signed a one-year contract when he joined in the summer with an option of a further year.
Mikael Forssell believes Neil Kilkenny has the "mentality" and "confidence" to recover from his sending-off against Liverpool at the weekend. "Neil is a great player, he talks to you like he knows what he is talking about and that's good for a youngster," Forssell said. "When you are a striker like myself, and you have a midfielder behind you that keeps talking, that is great. Neil had the red card and he will be disappointed but I am sure he will come back."
Chris Coleman has admitted that Papa Bouba Diop would be allowed to leave but it would take a massive amount of money to prise him away. The Senegalese midfielder has been impressive since arriving from Lens in July 2004, with Arsenal among a host of clubs tracking him. "If a club wants to come in and give us £12m or £15m for Papa Bouba Diop, I suppose I can't tell the chairmen we have to keep him - every player at every club has his price," Coleman said.
Steve McClaren is hoping to have four first-team squad players, Gaizka Mendieta, Szilard Nemeth, Chris Riggott and Stuart Parnaby, back from injury after last night's reserve game against Wigan. Mendieta has not played since damaging a calf muscle against Charlton in August, while Nemeth picked up an ankle ligament problem on the opening day against Liverpool. Parnaby suffered a knee injury in training and Riggott has been sidelined since April with a knee problem.
Martin Jol has warned Wayne Routledge could be out for the rest of the season with injury. The Spurs physiotherapist has ruled out Routledge for at least two more months but Jol is not so optimistic. "It is a difficult injury. He could be out for the season," the manager said. Routledge suffered a stress fracture of his foot on the opening day of the season. Jol praised Aaron Lennon who has played in Routledge's absence. "He [Lennon] has got the potential to be a big player," he said.
Michael Gray, who was outstanding in Saturday's 2-1 at Manchester United, has admitted he deserved to be left out of the team last season. However, the full-back is convinced his hard work has paid off. "When I was left out the manager was right to do that," Gray said. "I enjoyed being with Leeds on loan and thought something might have come out of that but it didn't. I have stuck it out, I've had to wait a long time, but hopefully I can get a good run in the side now."
Djibril Cisse has stated that he is not going anywhere and wants to repay the support Liverpool fans showed him during his injury nightmare last season. The French striker has been linked with a move but he insists that he is not going anywhere. "I love this club and I want to be at Liverpool for a very long time," Cisse said. "With the love the fans have shown me, I want to give something back and score a lot of goals. I don't want to go anywhere and I don't think I will."
Graeme Souness has praised the performances of Scott Parker since arriving in the North-east and reckons he will be recalled soon by England. "He is an all-rounder and he will complement the Lampards and Gerrards in the team," Souness said. Parker is also happy to be playing a more regular role. "The gaffer put me back in and I was pleased to help us beat Manchester City." Newcastle are reportedly tracking Swansea's prolific striker Lee Trundle and may make a move in the transfer window.
WEST BROMWICH ALBION
The winger Lloyd Dyer has joined Queen's Park Rangers on a month-long loan deal. Dyer will be available to play for the Championship team at Millwall tonight but Albion have the right to recall the 23-year-old after 28 days of his spell in London. Dyer has yet to make a first-team appearance for the Baggies this season. The midfielder Richard Caplow has been named in the England Under-20 squad for the game against the Netherlands on Sunday 9 October.
WEST HAM UNITED
Manager Alan Pardew is remaining realistic about his club's chances by warning fans not to get carried away after a good start to the season. Pardew, whose Hammers side are unbeaten in three games, insists survival is still the main objective. "It's been a great start and we want to build on that but survival is still our target. Staying up in your first season back is vital," he said. But Pardew is happy with the way his squad are playing, believing "things are going fine".
Paul Jewell is keeping his feet firmly on the ground and refusing to get carried away after his side rose to eight in the table, level on points with Arsenal. Wigan have defied the critics who labelled them as favourites for the drop and have taken 10 points from their opening six games. "It's still early days and we're not getting carried away. We're used to winning matches at this club and we know how to win games. If we were level with Arsenal after 38 games I'd be delighted," Jewell said.
Nicky Hunt will be out for up to six weeks after sustaining a hairline fracture of his left leg against Portsmouth on Saturday. The injury to the England Under-21 international is adding to a growing list for manager Sam Allardyce as Bolton prepare for the Uefa Cup second-leg tie against Lokomotiv Plovdiv on Thursday. "I am disappointed for Nicky, he could well miss our next five matches. The injury situation is a little worrying. The squad is looking thin in key areas," Allardyce said.
The Charlton Under-18 side lost 2-0 to Chelsea at Sparrows Lane on Saturday. They hardly managed a shot all game as Chelsea's youngsters looked as domineering as their senior team. However, the Addicks looked dangerous when striker Donovan Simmonds got the ball. Unfortunately, and it probably summed up Charlton's day, the striker limped off three minutes before half-time. Dean Furman and Anthony Grant scored for Chelsea.Reuse content