The Football Association have pledged to offer full refunds to any England supporters who cannot get to tomorrow night's World Cup encounter with Andorra.
Ticket sales were stopped last week once it became clear the 48-hour London Underground workers' strike was likely to go ahead.
But 70,000 supporters still face having a nightmare journey to Wembley, with all tube services cancelled.
So, while the actual stipulation of the ticket does not require refunds to be made in such circumstances, the FA have decided to make the gesture, even though it could cost them a substantial sum.
However, Soho Square officials believe it is the best-case scenario from a very difficult situation, which led to fears of the Group Six encounter being played behind closed doors, or being postponed altogether.
"If people had not had a can-do attitude, we may have had a very difficult circumstance," said FA director of communications Adrian Bevington.
It was certainly a test for new FA chief executive Ian Watmore, who only took up his post on June 1.
Watmore had meetings with the Metropolitan Police, Brent Council and London transport authorities this morning and emerged believing he had done the best thing for all concerned.
Turnstiles will be open two-and-a-half hours before kick-off, at 5.45pm, with car parks being available in advance of that.
"Travelling will not be straightforward and fans should prepare to have a disrupted journey," said Watmore, who confirmed later that nearby Wembley overground stations would be used.
"Supporters should not rely on public transport and refunds will be made available to all ticket holders who decide not to attend this game.
"We are disappointed this has happened. But we know English people love their football and will turn out in force I am sure."Reuse content