December 2014-February 2015 - Three counts of sexual activity with a child were said to have taken place on one night in January, at two locations in County Durham. The offence of meeting a child after sexual grooming was said to have happened between December and February.
Monday 2nd March 2015 - Johnson detained at his home by Durham Police after they received a complaint from the girl’s father.
Monday 2nd March 2015 - Sunderland respond immediately to Johnson’s arrest and suspend him while police investigate the allegations.
Tuesday 3rd March 2015 - Johnson released on bail pending further enquiry.
Wednesday 18th March 2015 - Sunderland lift Johnson’s suspension, "We recognise that the player is entitled to re-commence his duties with the club while the legal process continues. He will therefore return to training," a club statement said.
Thursday 23rd April 2015 - Johnson answers bail at Peterlee police station where he is charged with three offences of sexual activity with a 15-year-old and one of grooming.
Monday 18th May 2015 - Johnson appears in court to face charges accompanied by his girlfriend. No pleas are entered but Johnson’s solicitor, Paul Morris, indicates his client will plead not guilty. Case is sent for preliminary hearing at Durham crown court.
Monday 3rd August 2015 - Johnson arrives at Durham crown court for hearing to deal with legal rulings, before a trial which had originally been scheduled for later this month. Judge Christopher Prince, the recorder of Durham, accepted the trial could not take place then and said it will be heard in February at Bradford crown court.
Saturday 6th February 2016 - Johnson scores a late equaliser to earn Sunderland a point against Liverpool at Anfield.
Wednesday 10th February 2016 - Johnson arrives in court for day one of the trial where he pleads guilty to one count of grooming and one count of sexual touching, he denies a further 2 charges.
Thursday 11th February 2016 - Sunderland sack Johnson.
Wednesday 24th February 2016 - Court hears Johnson’s claim that he had been able to continue his Sunderland career despite disclosing to the club’s chief executive, Margaret Byrne as early as May 2015 that he would plead guilty.
Wednesday 2nd March 2016 - Jury delivers guilty verdict for one charge of sexual activity. Judge states that Johnson will return for sentencing in two weeks.Reuse content