Adebayor escapes ban over celebration
Thursday 01 October 2009
Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor has been fined £25,000 for his controversial celebration against his former club Arsenal but only received a suspended two-match ban - partly due to fans provoking him.
Adebayor has already served a three-match suspension for violent conduct in a separate incident during the victory at Eastlands last month, although there was the possibility of further action after he sprinted the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of visiting fans following his headed goal.
It is understood the Togo striker was at Wembley to admit a charge of improper conduct to a Football Association regulatory commission hearing.
His admission was taken into account as was, crucially, the conduct of Arsenal fans.
"In reaching its decision the Commission took into account his admission of the charge, public apology and the extremely provocative nature of the abuse he received," read an FA statement.
"However, the commission also stated that players have a responsibility to conduct themselves in a proper manner and that such celebrations are unacceptable and have the potential to cause a serious public order incident."
Arsenal fans have been criticised themselves for personal abuse of Adebayor after he left them in the summer. He felt he was a scapegoat for supporters during his final days at the Emirates Stadium.
The 25-year-old is now available for City's Barclays Premier League clash at Aston Villa on Monday as his two-match ban will only be activated if there is a similar breach of FA rules before December 2010.
Manchester City boss Mark Hughes had been hopeful of his striker escaping a further ban.
City were expected to use the evidence of Gary Neville's goal celebration against them the following week - which did not even bring a charge against the Manchester United defender - as part of their defence.
It means Hughes arguably has the strongest pool of forward players in the Barclays Premier League.
"We are in decent shape and things seem to be falling into place," Hughes said. "We are playing well - and with confidence.
"I am absolutely convinced we will produce even higher quality football because of the quality we already have and the quality that will be available to us in the future."
Hughes added: "There has been a lot said and written about Emmanuel's goal celebration. We are just glad to put it all behind us now and I am relieved he will be able to play at Aston Villa on Monday night," he declared.
"Manu was in great form before his suspension and having him available again is a huge boost to us."
Latest in Sport
Chelsea vs Tottenham: Eden Hazard exclusive interview - All is rosy in the garden of Eden
Arsenal vs Monaco: Theo Walcott 'involved in spat' with fans after Champions League defeat
It's time to stop the 'small club' jibes after Chelsea signed £200m Yokohama deal
Robbie Savage avoids driving ban - because he would get 'accosted' too much if he had to use public transport
Liverpool vs Manchester City: Brendan Rodgers and his fading Liverpool may have reached breaking point
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 Prince Harry leaving the armed forced to pursue conservation projects in Africa
- 4 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East