Tottenham coach Les Ferdinand has claimed that recently sacked manager Andre Villas-Boas knew about each of the seven signings made in the summer and gave technical director Franco Baldini his consent in completing each transfer.
Reports suggested that Villas-Boas had sanctioned just three of the signings made during the summer transfer window, with the additions of Vlad Chiriches, Erik Lamela, Christian Eriksen and Nacer Chadli going against his wishes.
But Ferdinand has revealed that the Portuguese gave Baldini permission to spend over £110m on the new additions as the club seeked to replace the large hole left by Gareth Bale’s record £86m move to Real Madrid.
Speaking to US podcast Beyond the Pitch, Ferdinand said: “Most of the signings were perhaps suggestions to him, but he agreed to those suggestions.
“The bottom line is he agreed to all of those signings. It wasn't a case that the players were brought in and he was told 'You have to make a team of these players', because if you're a manager and that happens, you're destined for the sack.
“From speaking to AVB, I understand he was happy that the players came to the club.”
Ferdinand, who spent six years playing for Spurs between 1997 and 2003 before joining their coaching staff five years later, also explained that he was understood that Villas-Boas had been informed that the bare minimum this season would be a top four finish and qualification for the Champions League, with Villas-Boas leaving the club in seventh, five points off fourth and eight behind rivals and league leaders Arsenal.
“We lost Gareth Bale and spent over £100m pounds,” Ferdinand continued. “When you spend that kind of money you forget the fact that they need to settle in.
“Most players that come into the Premier League need about six months to a year for them to settle in - six months if they hit the ground running.
“But in all honesty, the management and the people above were all saying that qualifying for the Champions League was a minimum.”
Ferdinand is now assisting interim manager Tim Sherwood, who threw hit name into the hat for the permanent role following the 2-1 League Cup quarter-final defeat on Wednesday night.
Spurs went ahead through a second-half strike from the recalled Emmanuel Adebayor, but conceded two goals in the final 10 minutes to crash out of the cup and see the Hammers through to the last four.
“The immediate future is up in the air, that's as much as I know,” Sherwood said following the home loss.
“I'm up for a challenge. I always have been. I'm very opinionated. I know a certain way I need to play. I think I can manage men and deal with them and be honest with them.
“I think the chairman and the football club need to make the correct decision and find the manager who's best compatible to take this football club forward.
“I've got to be in the frame, but it's not my decision, unfortunately.”
It has not yet been announced whether Sherwood will still be in charge for their trip to Southampton on Sunday, where a defeat would see Saints move ahead of Spurs on goal difference, and subsequently deal another blow to their hopes of a top four finish.
- More about:
- Andre Villas-Boas
- Emmanuel Adebayor
- Gareth Bale
- Premier League
- Tottenham Hotspur
- UEFA Champions League