Andy Carroll looks the part for Liverpool
Sunday 07 August 2011
Andy Carroll is shaping up for the new Premier League season looking every bit the £35 million man.
Clearly fit and raring to go, he delighted fans at Anfield with a quickfire start to yesterday's friendly match against Valencia, scoring after only seven minutes to set his side on their way to a 2-0 victory with his third pre-saeson goal.
He used his pace to be first to a poor backpass by David Albelda and then turned the loose ball home after his first effort had hit the post. Dirk Kuyt, one of the nine Liverpool substitutes used in the second half, claimed the second after a goalmouth scramble in the last minute to wrap up a satisfactory evening for Kenny Dalglish's men.
Valencia made Liverpool work for their victory and it was thanks to Jose Reina that they achieved their first clean sheet of the pre-season, as he produced sharp saves when he came under pressure from his countrymen.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 2 Iain Duncan Smith's expenses credit card is suspended after he runs up £1,000 debt to taxpayer
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 French woman dies in freak bungee jumping accident
- 5 Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck to divorce and end their 10-year marriage
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS
Tunisia beach attack: How can British Muslims respond to the latest outrages?