Arsenal close in on £13 million Montpellier striker Olivier Giroud
Tuesday 12 June 2012
Arsenal are closing in on France striker Olivier Giroud, according to his club Montpellier.
Giroud, who is part of Laurent Blanc's Euro 2012 squad, is thought to command a fee in the region of £13million.
The 25-year-old scored 25 goals last season to help Montpellier win the Ligue 1 title, igniting the interest of several top clubs.
But Montpellier manager Rene Girard insists it is Gunners manager Arsene Wenger who is leading the chase.
"Arsenal are very interested and Giroud wants to play in England, if Arsene agrees with the president, he will sign for them," Girard told French radio station RMC.
Giroud is to consider his future after Euro 2012 with Arsenal favourites to make their second signing of the summer following the acquisition of Germany marksman Lukas Podolski.
Jennifer Lawrence attacks mass media again over body image
Paris charity auction staged to save the ancient city of Tyre
scienceScientists find the answer to a question that even puzzled Darwin
A very timely Great Train Robbery and a frantic 24 Hours in A&E among the highlights
arts + entsThe 'Friends' actor on his new role as campaigner on addiction issues
Latest in Sport
Arsenal - January transfer targets
Andre Villas-Boas sacked: AVB seals his fate at Spurs by rejecting Emmanuel Adebayor
Transfer news: Manchester United - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Borussia Dortmund star Marco Reus could be on his way Manchester United
Transfer news: Arsenal - Transfer targets for January
- 1 Facebook 'self-censorship': study records when you don't post to find more ways to share
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 ‘Why we don't have snow in Saudi Arabia’: Video captures winter fun as Middle East hit with rare blizzard
- 4 Vitamin pills are a waste of money, offer no health benefits and could be harmful - study
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile