Arsenal goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski to miss rest of season
Arsenal goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski will miss the rest of the season as he requires surgery on a damaged shoulder.
The Pole broke down with the problem during the warm-up ahead of Arsenal's Barclays Premier League match against Manchester City last month and has not played since.
Boss Arsene Wenger confirmed this morning the 25-year-old - who had established himself as Arsenal's first-choice goalkeeper - will head to Germany for surgery.
Wenger explained at a press conference this morning: "We had bad news for Lukasz Fabianski because he need surgery on his shoulder.
"He has decided after having seen a few specialists that he will have surgery in Germany. It means his season is over."
Manuel Almunia has just returned from an injury lay-off and will now battle with youngster Wojciech Szczesny for the number one jersey.
Wenger continued: "The competition for the places at the moment will be between Wojciech and Almunia. Wojciech will play the next game."
Midfielder Alex Song (thigh) will not feature against Newcastle on Saturday, but Theo Walcott has recovered from a minor ankle knock picked up in the midweek win over Everton.
Latest in Sport
- 1 The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
- 2 South African rhino finally put down after roaming Kruger park for days with horn hacked off and bullet in brain
- 3 Italian pensioner hires an escort who turns out to be his son's girlfriend
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role to marry Natasha Richardson
Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit
Thousands of young people forced to go without food after benefits wrongly stopped under 'draconian' new sanctions regime
Ukraine crisis: New navy chief 'defects' and surrenders Crimean HQ as Putin claims ultranationalists forced intervention
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast