Arsenal v Newcastle United: Premier League match preview
A look ahead to Monday’s Premier League fixture at Emirates Stadium
Monday 28 April 2014
Arsenal have long outplayed their chances for the trophy and only the most hard-core fans believes that the Gunners can win bronze this season. However, Arsenal are still in play for Champions League qualification, but are being tailed by Everton only one point behind them. A win against visitors Newcastle on Monday night will give them three vital points in their chase for elite European football next season.
Newcastle, on the other hand, have had a few ups during this season, but at the moment it is only going one way; down.
The Magpies have not won in five consecutive Premier League matches and can end outside the top ten when the season ends. A win against Arsenal seems unlikely as Newcastle have not won against the Gunners since 2010 where they took a 1-0 victory at Emirates Stadium.
KICK-OFF: Monday, 8pm
PAST THREE MEETINGS…
Newcastle United 0 Arsenal 1 (Giroud), Premier League, December 2013
Newcastle United 0 Arsenal 1 (Koscielny), Premier League, May 2013
Arsenal 7 (Walcott 3, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Podolski, Giroud 2) Newcastle United 3 (Ba 2, Marveaux), Premier League, December 2012
- Arsenal have won their last four Premier League meetings with Newcastle; their best run against them in the competition
- Newcastle have lost eight of their last 10 Premier League games at Arsenal (W1 D1); losing 7-3 there last season
- The Magpies remain in the top-half of the table despite losing nine of their last 12 Premier League matches
- The Gunners have won their last two Premier League games, after winning only two of the previous nine.
Arsenal to win: 1.25
Newcastle United to win: 12
TV: Live on SkySports1 at 8pm
Latest in Sport
Arsenal vs Tottenham player ratings: Mesut Ozil? Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain? Nacer Chadli? Who was the star man at the Emirates?
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Husain Abdullah penalised after celebrating a touchdown with a Muslim prayer - causing mass outrage among fans
Manchester United risk Uefa row over plan to play lucrative midweek friendlies
Cristiano Ronaldo banner: This is how Real Madrid striker reacted to the stunt by Manchester United fans
- 1 Reyhaneh Jabbari: Iran due to execute woman for murder of her alleged attempted rapist
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
- 5 British man raped while urinating in bushes at Oktoberfest beer festival in Germany
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
'Women, walk wherever you want' posters taken down in Stamford Hill following 'unacceptable' signs separating men and women
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so