Arsenal v Newcastle United: Premier League match preview
A look ahead to Monday’s Premier League fixture at Emirates Stadium
Monday 28 April 2014
Arsenal have long outplayed their chances for the trophy and only the most hard-core fans believes that the Gunners can win bronze this season. However, Arsenal are still in play for Champions League qualification, but are being tailed by Everton only one point behind them. A win against visitors Newcastle on Monday night will give them three vital points in their chase for elite European football next season.
Newcastle, on the other hand, have had a few ups during this season, but at the moment it is only going one way; down.
The Magpies have not won in five consecutive Premier League matches and can end outside the top ten when the season ends. A win against Arsenal seems unlikely as Newcastle have not won against the Gunners since 2010 where they took a 1-0 victory at Emirates Stadium.
KICK-OFF: Monday, 8pm
PAST THREE MEETINGS…
Newcastle United 0 Arsenal 1 (Giroud), Premier League, December 2013
Newcastle United 0 Arsenal 1 (Koscielny), Premier League, May 2013
Arsenal 7 (Walcott 3, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Podolski, Giroud 2) Newcastle United 3 (Ba 2, Marveaux), Premier League, December 2012
- Arsenal have won their last four Premier League meetings with Newcastle; their best run against them in the competition
- Newcastle have lost eight of their last 10 Premier League games at Arsenal (W1 D1); losing 7-3 there last season
- The Magpies remain in the top-half of the table despite losing nine of their last 12 Premier League matches
- The Gunners have won their last two Premier League games, after winning only two of the previous nine.
Arsenal to win: 1.25
Newcastle United to win: 12
TV: Live on SkySports1 at 8pm
Latest in Sport
Arsenal have no plans to stock Petr Cech inspired caps in club shops - yet
Petr Cech blasts Chelsea supporters who sent him death threats after £11m Arsenal transfer: 'They are not true fans'
Nathaniel Clyne joins Liverpool: Transfer news live - Arda Turan decision, Petr Cech reaction, Sergio Ramos to Manchester United
Christian Benteke to Liverpool: Aston Villa striker ready to reject Tottenham
Arda Turan announcement expected on Friday: Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United possible destinations
- 1 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 2 Greece crisis: Alexis Tsipras accepts troika bailout proposals with conditions
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 French woman dies in freak bungee jumping accident
- 5 Facebook rainbow profile pictures likely being tracked by social network
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS