Arsenal v Newcastle United: Premier League match preview
A look ahead to Monday’s Premier League fixture at Emirates Stadium
Monday 28 April 2014
Arsenal have long outplayed their chances for the trophy and only the most hard-core fans believes that the Gunners can win bronze this season. However, Arsenal are still in play for Champions League qualification, but are being tailed by Everton only one point behind them. A win against visitors Newcastle on Monday night will give them three vital points in their chase for elite European football next season.
Newcastle, on the other hand, have had a few ups during this season, but at the moment it is only going one way; down.
The Magpies have not won in five consecutive Premier League matches and can end outside the top ten when the season ends. A win against Arsenal seems unlikely as Newcastle have not won against the Gunners since 2010 where they took a 1-0 victory at Emirates Stadium.
KICK-OFF: Monday, 8pm
PAST THREE MEETINGS…
Newcastle United 0 Arsenal 1 (Giroud), Premier League, December 2013
Newcastle United 0 Arsenal 1 (Koscielny), Premier League, May 2013
Arsenal 7 (Walcott 3, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Podolski, Giroud 2) Newcastle United 3 (Ba 2, Marveaux), Premier League, December 2012
- Arsenal have won their last four Premier League meetings with Newcastle; their best run against them in the competition
- Newcastle have lost eight of their last 10 Premier League games at Arsenal (W1 D1); losing 7-3 there last season
- The Magpies remain in the top-half of the table despite losing nine of their last 12 Premier League matches
- The Gunners have won their last two Premier League games, after winning only two of the previous nine.
Arsenal to win: 1.25
Newcastle United to win: 12
TV: Live on SkySports1 at 8pm
Latest in Sport
Chelsea vs Manchester United player ratings: Match-winner Eden Hazard leads the way, but Radamel Falcao endures game to forget
Chelsea 1 Manchester United 0: Eight things we learnt as Blues step closer to the Premier League title
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: Where are the tickets for the fight?
Chelsea transfer news: Jose Mourinho plays down news signings Nathan and Yoshinori Muto but talks up Ruben Loftus-Cheek
Arsenal transfer news: Mikel Arteta needs 'five minutes' to sign new contract and remain with the Gunners
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby of them all could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Professional big game hunter Ian Gibson crushed to death by elephant during hunt
- 4 Farmer told to tear down mock-Tudor castle after hiding construction behind hay bales
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate