Arsenal v Sunderland: Mesut Ozil left out of Gunners squad after midweek penalty heartache
Ozil's saved penalty attempt against Bayern Munich looked to severely affect his confidence and Wenger had hinted at leaving the £42.5m man out this weekend
Saturday 22 February 2014
Club-record signing Mesut Ozil was left out of the Arsenal squad for Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash against Sunderland at the Emirates Stadium.
The German playermaker had missed an early penalty in the midweek 2-0 home defeat by Bayern Munich in the Champions League, and was taken off the frontline by Gunners boss Arsene Wenger. Striker Olivier Giroud returned to the starting XI as did midfielder Mikel Arteta, who was suspended for the European tie.
Sunderland are set to play Manchester City in the Capital One Cup final next weekend, but are also scrapping for top-flight survival. Goalkeeper Vito Mannone faced his old club, but former Gunners midfielder Seb Larsson had to be content with a place on the bench.
More to follow...
Latest in Sport
WWE Raw results: Seth Rollins and Kane punish Dean Ambrose while Brock Lesnar receives a new Championship belt
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Manchester United transfer news: Sporting Lisbon confirm Marcos Rojo deal complete with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Besiktas vs Arsenal: Arsene Wenger hits out at Aaron Ramsey red card decision
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad with Jager and potatoes for vodka as campsite opens tomorrow
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict