Aston Villa target Toulouse midfielder Moussa Sissoko
Aston Villa are in serious danger of relegation
Tuesday 15 January 2013
Toulouse midfielder Moussa Sissoko has emerged as a potential target for Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert, Press Association Sport understands.
The 23-year-old is believed to be under consideration from Lambert, who has identified strengthening in the middle of the park as one of his priorities during the January transfer window.
Sissoko's current contract runs out this summer and he would be available now for around £3 million.
The France international was also on the radar of the then Villa manager Gerard Houllier two years ago.
Sissoko can operate as a holding player who would offer protection to a defence which has leaked more goals - 42 - than any other Barclays Premier League team this season.
Lambert admitted last week that Villa were missing the presence in midfield of club skipper Stiliyan Petrov who is battling against acute leukaemia.
Sissoko has also been linked with a move to Sunderland.
Speculation that former Villa midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker could return on a short term basis are wide of the mark.
Reo-Coker has just ended a three-month contract with Championship strugglers Ipswich.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 2 How to turn off/stop 'seen by' on Facebook: Disable it to make your chats seem less passive aggressive
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 'We're not heroes, just tourists': Swedish police officers on holiday stop vicious assault on New York subway
- 5 Buckingham Palace guard who attacked passers-by in 'most most violent piece of CCTV footage' police officer had seen walks free
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove
Rupert Murdoch berated Sun journalists for not doing enough to attack Ed Miliband and stop him winning the general election