Chelsea squad not good enough, says Ancelotti
Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti yesterday looked back over the remains of what will go down as the worst season of Roman Abramovich's eight-year reign and confessed the squad was not good enough.
With speculation mounting that he will be replaced in the summer, the Italian refused to take any questions on his future, so instead was quizzed on the club's past – specifically where Chelsea went so wrong this season.
Ancelotti confirmed that he fully supported the decision last summer to release five senior players – Michael Ballack, Ricardo Carvalho, Joe Cole, Deco and Juliano Belletti – but admitted the decision to start the season with just 19 first-team players did leave the Double winners vulnerable when injuries hit them hard in late autumn.
Ancelotti said: "I don't think the squad was good enough this year. At the start of the season, we couldn't have envisaged having very important players out at the same time. We struggled to manage this – without [Frank] Lampard, [Didier] Drogba, [Michael] Essien, [John] Terry, Alex. It was very difficult. At a certain point in the season, we needed to put [Paulo] Ferreira in at centre-back because we'd lost all our other centre-backs. You cannot think at the start of the season that you'd have all these players out."
Chelsea started the season with the smallest squad in the Premier League, the 19 senior players including three goalkeepers. The aim was to integrate young players from the academy gradually but when injuries struck the policy left Chelsea horribly exposed. The limitations of the squad became apparent in November, when they were beaten 3-0 at home by Sunderland, and Ancelotti decided he could not rely on Chelsea's young lions any more. "In the difficult moment, it was harder to put the responsibility on them," he said.
The elephant in the room is the sacking of assistant manager Ray Wilkins just three days before the defeat to Sunderland. With one blow Abramovich's decision to sack Wilkins and promote Michael Emenalo as his replacement destabilised Chelsea's dressing room and undermined the authority of the manager. Coming as it did when Terry and Lampard were both out injured, and Drogba was suffering the effects of malaria, the timing could not have been worse.
Ancelotti yesterday threw in the towel on Chelsea's title defence, and admitted he does not care whether his team finished second or third, just as long as they qualified for the Champions League. "Second or third place is not important for Chelsea. The first thing is to win the title. The second thing is to reach a position that allows us to reach the Champions League next year," he said. Chelsea are two points behind second-placed Arsenal.
The main concern for Chelsea going into tonight's home game with Birmingham City remains the ongoing goal drought for their £50m striker Fernando Torres, which now stands at 12 games and covers 701 minutes. Chelsea were more like their old selves in Saturday's 3-1 victory at West Bromwich Albion, where Drogba was preferred to Torres and Chelsea reverted to a more familiar 4-3-3 formation. Ancelotti admitted he is tempted to stick with the same team as Brazilians Alex and Ramires are again both missing, but also gave his support to Torres.
The Chelsea manager said: "It's very difficult to change the team that played so well against West Brom, not just for the result, not just for the performance. It's not a good moment for Fernando, but I want to do my best to support him. To score one goal, for him, could be the best medicine."
Latest in Sport
Monaco is a street circuit where driver ability is more important than anywhere else and if we take ...
by Gareth Purnell
24 May 2013 02:00 AM
Three weeks ago as I drove off the Eurostar, I remember thinking what a very long time it was until ...
by Martin Ayres
23 May 2013 05:29 PM
McDowell did brilliantly to land the World Match Play title in Bulgaria last week, but it’s a format...
by Gareth Purnell
23 May 2013 09:13 AM
David Moyes delighted after Rio Ferdinand agrees to stay at Manchester United with new one-year contract
On-loan goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois still believes in Chelsea youth policy
After racist remark, Sergio Garcia fights for reputation as Tiger Woods slams 'hurtful' fried chicken joke
Manuel Pellegrini must decide on futures of Carlos Tevez, Gareth Barry and Joleon Lescott as Manchester City name starting date for new manager
Liverpool striker Andy Carroll delays over West Ham move
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.