David Beckham training with Arsenal, although Arsene Wenger dismisses transfer speculation
Former England captain is without a club
Arsene Wenger has confirmed David Beckham is training with Arsenal at their Hertfordshire training base.
Former England captain Beckham is currently without a club after leaving Los Angeles Galaxy at the end of the Major League Soccer season.
"He called me," Wenger said.
"He has asked to come here and to work on his fitness. He has not done anything for a long, long time.
"(It's) purely for fitness. There's no speculation about signing or anything."
It is still to be determined whether, and where, Beckham will continue his own footballing career.
The 37-year-old Londoner has enjoyed a successful career with Manchester United, Real Madrid, LA Galaxy and AC Milan, while also accumulating 115 England caps, a record for an outfield player.
Beckham also played a prominent role in the delegation sent to Singapore which helped to secure the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games for London and if he does not continue his football career, there are many avenues for the future.
With Wenger playing down the possibility of Beckham signing on a permanent basis he was asked what benefit there is for Arsenal.
He said: "Nothing. To help somebody.
"We are open for people who behave well when they come here."
Latest in Sport
Wow - what a weekend for British Motorcycle racing!
by Luke Wilkins
22 May 2013 05:00 AM
The dust is barely settling on the Premier League season and the bookies are looking to persuade us ...
by Gareth Purnell
22 May 2013 02:01 AM
The guard has changed at Old Trafford for the first time in 26 years. Meanwhile, down the road, the ...
by The Sports Lawyer
21 May 2013 10:01 PM
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.