Defensive injuries lead Tottenham to consider £15m bid for Jagielka
Monday 26 July 2010
Harry Redknapp, the Tottenham manager, has admitted he needs "one or two" additions to his squad as Spurs prepare to start the new season without the injured defensive pairing of Jonathan Woodgate and Ledley King. "Jonathan's in a position where he can't train or kick a ball," Redknapp revealed.
Woodgate has been plagued with injuries in recent years and made just three appearances for Spurs last season, while his centre-back partner King is struggling with groin and knee problems. Both have been unable to join their team-mates on Spurs' American pre-season tour.
The injuries may force Redknapp to make a move for the Everton defender Phil Jagielka, who could leave for a reported £15m. "Having one or two new faces freshens everything up, and gives you a little push," Redknapp said.
Spurs completed their tour of the United States last night with a 2-2 draw against Sporting Lisbon in New York, Robbie Keane and Jonathan Obika getting their goals.
Across north London, Arsenal's £10m signing Laurent Koscielny says he cannot wait for his first season in the Premier League. "I like physical challenges and I am a player that can anticipate situations," he said. The 24-year-old defender has had an impressive pre-season for the Gunners so far.
Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, is interested in the Ajax and Netherlands goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg, as negotiations with Fulham for Mark Schwarzer have stalled.
After 15 years, 542 matches, 77 goals and 15 trophies, Guti has finally left the club and is weighing up an offer from Turkish side Besiktas. "I go knowing that Real Madrid will always be my home," the 33-year-old midfielder said. "I have an offer from Besiktas, but I haven’t decided yet."
Barcelona's Andres Iniesta has conceded that Cesc Fabregas won't be joining him at the Nou Camp this summer. "Cesc wants to be with us, but he told me how close the Arsenal fans are to his heart." The Barça midfielder said. "I hope he wins the title at Arsenal this season."
Lee Chung-yong, who scored twice in the World Cup for South Korea, has said he wants to stay at the Reebok Stadium after being linked with a move to Liverpool. "There's still much for me to learn in Bolton," the 22-year-old midfielder said. "I haven't thought of a transfer."
Latest in Sport
- 4 #JeSuisEd: People share photos of themselves eating awkwardly in solidarity with Labour leader
- 5 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
In defence of liberal democracy
General Election 2015: Post-election 'shambles' looms as 70 per cent of voters say SNP 'should not be able to veto UK government policies'
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
General Election 2015: Sturgeon claims Scots 'appalled' by Ed Miliband's refusal to work with SNP