Everton 2 Real Betis 1 match report: Darron Gibson injured as Toffees complete pre-season programme
Sunday 11 August 2013
Goals from Nikica Jelavic and Kevin Mirallas saw Everton complete their pre-season programme with a 2-1 friendly victory over Real Betis at Goodison Park.
Jelavic continued his fine build-up to the new Barclays Premier League campaign with an impressive first-half strike after good work by Mirallas to net his fourth goal of the summer.
Mirallas doubled the tally in freak circumstances as Betis goalkeeper Stephan Andersen fumbled the Belgian's corner into the net just after the hour.
Brian Rodriguez claimed a last-minute consolation for the Spanish side.
The downside for Everton and new manager Roberto Martinez was an injury to midfielder Darron Gibson, who limped off before half-time.
The Toffees are at Norwich for their Premier League opener next Saturday.
Latest in Sport
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God