Everton turn down Manchester City Lescott bid
Thursday 30 July 2009
Everton have confirmed they have rejected Manchester City's latest offer for Joleon Lescott.
City contacted their Barclays Premier League rivals with an increased bid of £18m for the central defender - but the Toffees have turned down the offer.
Earlier this summer, the Eastlands club had a bid of £15m rejected, with Everton boss David Moyes insisting no player will leave Everton this summer without his approval.
A club statement from the Goodison club on official website www.evertonfc.com read: "We can confirm we have received an offer of £18m for Joleon Lescott from Manchester City and that offer has been rejected outright."
Everton signed Lescott from Wolves in 2006 and the player has gone on to become a regular in both the Blues' starting XI and the England national squad.
The club had been bracing themselves for another attempt to persuade them to sell the Birmingham-born centre-back.
This time news of the bid was immediately relayed to Moyes in Salt Lake City, where he was preparing his side for their friendly with the Major League Soccer All-Stars side.
City are keen to add the versatile Lescott to their expensive new squad, having failed to land John Terry from Chelsea.
It is understood that Lescott, who lives in the Manchester area, would be interested in hearing City's plans for him.
However, one bargaining point disappeared last night, with City defender Nedum Onuoha signing a new five-year contract at Eastlands.
It had been suggested that Everton may be prepared to do business if Onuoha could have been part of a new deal.
But by raising the bid by only £3million from their first attempt, City clearly have no intention of going close to the fee of around £28million which could see Everton reconsider their determination to keep the player.
filmFilm producers sue Warner Bros for $75m over Hobbit films
sportNapoli 2 Arsenal 0: Gunners must now face either Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid or Barcelona in knock-out stages
Swedish stars ask fans for £195 pledges on crowd-funding website
voicesJust when you thought you could find a man, get married, and have a baby by the age of 35... it turns out you’re too late, says Grace Dent
musicAs Mariah Carey and Noddy Holder rake in the royalties from their classics, why there hasn't been a decent festive hit for 20 years?
theatreAuthor Daniel Rosenthal recalls the mishaps that almost brought the curtain down on the likes of John Gielgud and Diana Rigg
lifeAs the Royal Mail plans to phase out deliveries on two wheels, it's no wonder posties are in a spin
musicThe 21-year-old beat Ella Eyre and Chlöe Howl to win the honour
lifeFull of the joys and want to help your fellow man? December isn't the time to do it
techLuke Blackall reports on precision engineered prams and babygros that monitor your child 24-7
Latest in Sport
World Cup 2014: Football Manager developers predict the team of the tournament - but which England player makes it into the XI?
Roy Keane omits Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs from 'greatest' Manchester United team
Man cycles down water slide in incredible stunt video
Napoli 2 Arsenal 0 match report: Nightmare in Naples leaves Arsenal to battle giants
Transfer news: Wayne Rooney sparks Manchester United exit rumours after rejecting new contract talks - reports
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute in Soweto
- 2 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 Is Facebook making us forget? Study shows that taking pictures ruin memories
- 5 Australia incest case: Severely deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding